previous next

[459] of the hospital steward of the garrison, to be sent up under a flag of truce to the confederate lines; and at the same time the men to be allowed to send up any letters they may desire, subject to the inspection of a Federal officer.

Signed the eleventh day of April, 1862, at Fort Pulaski, Cockspur Island, Ga.

Chas. H. Olmstead, Col First Vol Reg't of Ga., Com'g Fort Pulaski. Q. A. Gilmore, Brig.-Gen. Vols., Com'g U. S. Forces, Tybee Island, Ga.

rebel officers captured.

Col. Chas. H. Olmstead, commanding post.

Major John Foley.

Adjutant M. H. Hopkins.

Quartermaster Robert Irwin.

Commissaries Robert D. Walker, J. T. McFarland.

Sergeant-Major Robert H. Lewis.

Quartermaster's Sergeant Wm. C. Crawford.

Ordnance Sergeant Harvey Sims.

officers of the Montgomery guard, Savannah.

Capt. L. J. Gilmartin, First Lieut. John J. Symons, Senior Second Lieut. Christopher Hussey, Junior Second Lieut. C. M. Murphy.

German Volunteers, Savannah.

Capt. John H. Steigen, Senior Second Lieut. Henry Warner, Junior Second Lieut. Charles Umback.

Oglethorpe light infantry, Savannah.

Capt. T. W. Sims, First Lieut. H. C. Truman, Junior Second Lieut. James Ackerman.

Wise guard, Macon County, Ga.

Capt. M. J. McMullin, First Lieut. T. W. Montfort, Senior Second Lieut. J. D. N. Lullow, Junior Second Lieut. John Blow.

Washington Volunteers, Savannah.

Capt. John McMahon, First Lieut. Francis Blair, Senior Second Lieut. J. C. Rowland, Junior Second Lieut. A. J. McArthur.

Account by a participant.

On the eighth of April, Gen. Hunter and staff went ashore on Tybee Island. It was intended to open fire the next morning, but a delay of one day was found necessary. Gen. Hunter did not take up his headquarters ashore, though he visited the batteries, and on the first day of the bombardment remained at them. Gen. Benham was in the action both days, but the command was left with General Gilmore. Capt. Pelouze, late Adjutant-General on Gen. Sherman's staff, and now Inspector-General of the Department of the South, volunteered to take command of a battery, and was assigned to two. Lieut. Wilson, who had been engaged in drilling his men, at their guns for several days, acted on the staff of Gen. Gilmore, and exercised a sort of supervision of several of the batteries in conjunction with Lieut. Porter.

On the night of the ninth I rode with Lieut. Porter through the batteries. His object was to ascertain if it would be possible to open fire at sunrise in the morning. We visited each battery in turn: first the two mortar-batteries, Stanton and Grant, the furthest from the Fort. These were to be commanded by Capts. Skinner and Palmer, of the Connecticut Seventh. Then batteries Lyon and Lincoln, under Capt. Pelouze. One of them mounted three ten-inch, and the other three eight-inch columbiads. All of these four works were more than three thousand yards from Pulaski. Battery Burnside, under command of Sergeant Wilson, of the Ordnance, mounted one thirteen-inch mortar; battery Sherman commanded by Capt. Francis, consisted of three thirteen-inch mortars. There stretched out an interval of ground beyond this battery, half a mile or more, entirely exposed. One battery, (Halleck, Capt. Sanford,) only interrupted it. Halleck was two thousand four hundred yards from the Fort, and contained the last of the thirteen-inch mortars. The next was battery Scott, Capt. Mason, of the Third Rhode Island, only one thousand six hundred and seventy-seven yards from Fort Pulaski. It containe three teninch columbiads, and one eight-inch. Next came battery Sigel, Captain Seldeneck, of the Forty-sixth New-York, and battery McClellan, Capt. Rodgers. Both of these, which were side by side, were one thousand six hundred and twenty yards distant from the centre of Pulaski. The former mounted one twenty-four-pound James, and five twenty-pound Parrott guns; the latter two twelve pound James, and two thirty-two-pound James Last of all was battery Totten, under Capt. Rod man, where were placed the four ten-inch mortars. All of these nearest batteries were very close together, and, as they were to be so much exposed, connected by trenches or covered ways. The splinter-proofs now were immediately in the rear of the batteries, so that the men could pass directly from their guns to cover. These works were erected on a narrow strip of fast land, and just behind them was a wide swamp, into which it was hoped that most of the enemy's shells would fall. The batteries, though open, were still admirably protected. A man could scarcely be hurt, unless in passing between them, or in the event of a shell falling directly into the works and exploding; when, of course, all in the neighborhood were endangered. The swamp extends into the interior of the Island, and seemed likely to receive some of the shot and shell aimed at the lower batteries, but its position in the rear of those most exposed seemed almost providential.

Men were very busily at work without lanterns, at every one of the batteries, piling or filling shells, building revetments to render the parapets still more secure, lowering the terrepleins, deepening the trenches. And Porter went around to each gun, to ascertain if its captain was prepared with whatever would be necessary on the morrow. Some wanted one implement, and some another; these had no priming-wire, and those no friction-tube All the thousand little needs that spring up invariably in an emergency

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
April 11th, 1862 AD (1)
April 8th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: