previous next


Want of space forbids me to give an account of both days' fight at this time; but I will continue this to-morrow up to the hour I was so unfortunate as to be made a prisoner, (what a humiliating thought.) After that time I feel at liberty to say but little, owing to the terms of my parole. To relieve public anxiety as to the result of the fight, I will premise a little, and give the list of killed and wounded on our side, to-day, although it properly belongs to the succeeding letter. The casualties were as follows:


Capt. O. Jennings Wise, Forty-sixth Virginia, shot in several places.

Capt. Coles, company I, Forty-sixth Virginia, shot in the breast.

Lieut. William R. Selden, C. S. A., shot in head.

Lieut. Neill T. Monroe, company E, Eighth North-Carolina, shot in breast.

James D. Horn, Eighth North-Carolina.
Corporal Lane,do. do. 
R. W. Cameron,do. do. 
Thomas P. Mulleneaux, Second North-Carolina.
Johnston Williams,do. do.
Sergeant John H. Talley,do. do.
S. J. Claiborne,do. do.
Alfred B. Scott,do. do.
John S. Turpin,do. do.
William Bennett, Forty-sixth Virginia.
William Wilson, North-Carolina State Guards.
Charles Bailey,do. do.
Total killed,  16


Fifty-Ninth Virginia.--Lieut. Walker, slight, in the leg; George Collin, severe, in elbow; Thos. Robbins, company B, severe, in knee; William David, severe, in thigh and abdomen; John Ray, flesh wound, in hand; Lieut. Edgar Miller, slight, in shoulder; John Lawson, in arm; James A. Snell, in arm; Dennis Cussick, finger shot off; John Smith, severe, left eye; William E. Quigley, in head; Lieut. Isadore Potier, in leg.

Forty-Sixth Virginia.--Frank Gamble, company A, wounded in leg; Frank Johnson, company A, wounded in leg; Henry Adler, severe fracture, thigh; G. W. Jarvis, flesh wound, in foot; Lieut. Frederick Carter, slight wound, arm; William Nute, slight, in leg; Robert Thomas, company I, slight, in neck; Charles H. Thompson, slight, head; Benjamin Burgess, right knee; David Bishop, right shoulder, with fracture.

Thirty-First North-Carolina.--J. W. Wards-worth, in lungs, probably mortal; William H. Werner, right arm.

Eighth North-Carolina.--Corporal J. H. Anderson, finger shot off; James W. Haney, flesh wound in thigh; William Sikes, severe, right arm; Edward Russ, severe, in head; Capt. Joseph W. Whitson, slight, in leg; James Snowden, company B, in hand; Martin Etheridge, in hand; J. J. Sloan, in arm; Joseph Jarvis, in head.

Second North-Carolina.--W. H. Wofford, company D, in arm; William L. Wilson, company A, in leg; Jacob P. Jarrett, in head; G. W. Graves, in forehead.

Seventeenth North-Carolina, (in Fort bar tow.)--James Green, severe, in shoulder; William Groves, severe, in thigh. Total, thirty-nine.

Generally the wounds are very slight, and with few exceptions, are rapidly recovering. All are now in a hospital at Elizabeth City, but will be removed to Norfolk as soon as proper transportation can be provided. Medical supplies and medicine have been sent down from Norfolk, and every possible attention given to relieve their sufferings.

And now, my dear friends, I beg your congratulations, and ask some sympathy for myself and companions in captivity. Do not judge any of us harshly until I have told the whole story, and then you may say what you please. Not all the men captured were in the fight, but the few who were — some three hundred and sixty in number — kept back nine full regiments for four hours and a half, until their guns were clogged and their ammunition exhausted. Our friends, the “Blues,” fought with great bravery, and could the public fully understand their course of action, they would receive some decided demonstration of approval. The same can be said of Capt. Coles's company, Capt. Dickenson's, the “McCulloch Rangers,” and other companies — but I am forestalling my letter of to-morrow. And now, “Good night.”


Richmond Enquirer account.

While doubt and anxiety pervades the public mind as to the disaster at Fort Donelson, the sad and melancholy affair at Roanoke Island seems temporarily forgotten. We are in possession of facts connected with that fight, which we shall lay before the public for calm and impartial judgment.

On the morning of the sixth February, sixty vessels of the enemy appeared to the south of Roanoke Island. All day they were assembling, and early on the morning of the seventh, the signal for their advance was given. The command of Gen. Wise was at Nag's Head, there being no accommodation for them on the island. Early on the morning of the seventh, eight companies of the Second regiment, Wise Legion, Lieut.-Col. Anderson, and two companies of the First regiment, Wise Legion, as a battalion, under Capt. Wise, were sent to the island. The ten companies of Gen. Wise's command numbered about four hundred and fifty men. On the morning of the eighth, Major Fry, with four other companies of the First regiment, and Col. Green's battalion, were sent to the island. Three companies were retained at Nag's Head to prevent the enemy landing on the Roanoke Sound shore of the beach, and to construct a ferry of lighters, and to save stores and baggage in case of retreat or disaster.

On the island no preparations whatever had been made. Col. Shaw's regiment, Col. Jordan's and three companies of Col. Marten's regiment, had been on the island for months. These regiments numbered, all present, one thousand nine hundred and fourteen. Of these, about one thousand

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
7th (2)
February 6th (1)
8th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: