previous next

[496] twenty rounds, when I perceived that numbers of the enemy were passing around the right and getting in the rear of my line, and also that the battery on my left had been silenced and taken, and the enemy pressing forward to the left of us. I ordered the regiment to fall back, which it did in good order, to a distance of about seventy-five yards, where I made a halt, facing about and again opening the fire; but being unable to retain this position, I again ordered the regiment back under cover of the Twelfth Wisconsin and Powell's regular batteries; passing to the rear in line of battle, I halted at a position between these batteries. I then marched forward and occupied the same ground from which I had retired during the action. The casualties in the regiment were six men wounded on the first day, and one commissioned officer and thirty men wounded, and three men killed on the second day. During both days I was assisted in the field by Captain N. A. Holsen, Acting Lieut.-Colonel, and Capt. Jackson Orr, Acting Major, also Wm. Manning, Adjutant, who acted throughout with great coolness and courage, and to whom much credit is due. The line-officers, without an exception, deported themselves with the greatest gallantry, and did much to accomplish our successful movements on the field in the presence of danger. Upon the men of my command too much praise cannot be given for their endurance, courage, and strict obedience to orders, under all circumstances.

Yours respectfully,

Nathaniel McCalla, Major Commanding Tenth Iowa Regiment.

Colonel Sprague's report.

headquarters Sixty-Third regiment O. V. I., Second division First brigade army of Mississippi, near Ripley, Miss., Oct. 9, 1862.
Captain: I have the honor to report that nine companies of my command, (company D, Captain Fouts, being on detached duty,) consisting of two hundred and seventy-five men, left camp near Tuscumbia River about three o'clock A. M. on the third instant, and marched to Corinth during the morning, about six miles distant. Our position was changed several times. In the evening we rested near the fort north of Major-General Rosecrans's headquarters. About ten o'clock at night I was ordered to take position immediately on the right of the field redoubt, (armed with three twenty-pound Parrott guns,) in front and to the left of Captain Williams's fort and headquarters. On the left of the first-named work was the Forty-third Ohio. On my right were the Twenty-seventh and Thirty-ninth Ohio regiments. Soon after taking this position, companies B and G, commanded by Captain C. E. Brown and Lieutenant Browning, were sent out on the Chewalla road, (to the north and west from Corinth.) During the night, Captain Brown captured Captain Tobin, (of Tobin's Tennessee battery,) and his bugler, and brought them in. They were sent forward to the headquarters of General D. S. Stanley. Captain Brown heard the enemy near his position, planting a battery, at about four o'clock A. M., fired several volleys, it is believed, with good effect. Almost immediately after, the enemy opened fire from their battery, planted in our front, distant less than three hundred yards. During the morning several of my men were wounded by the fire from this battery and by the enemy's sharp-shooters, also posted in the woods in front.

About ten o'clock A. M., the enemy's columns were seen emerging from the woods into the partially open ground in our front. My men were kept lying down until the enemy had advanced to within fifty yards of our position. Our fire was then delivered with such effect as to check their advance, but they were again pushed on, again checked and forced to retire, leaving the ground literally covered with their dead and wounded. They again advanced after a short interval, and opened a furious fire upon us. At the same time a column of the enemy charged a redoubt immediately on my left, and advanced in strong force in front. The fire to which my regiment was exposed at this time was terrific and deadly. Soon the enemy on my left had advanced so far as to pour an enfilading fire along nearly the whole line of my regiment.

My left was thrown back slightly to meet this assault, and our fire was delivered with such effect upon the enemy, who had reached the ditch of the redoubt mentioned, as to nearly fill the ditch with their dead and wounded.

Every officer and man of my command seemed to put forth superhuman exertions to hold our position, but no troops could long stand against such unequal odds pouring a fire upon front and flank. Out of thirteen line-officers, nine were killed and wounded, and forty-five per cent of my whole force had shared the same fate, to say nothing of the number necessarily detailed to carry off the wounded. As evidence of the deadly fire to which my left was exposed, I may state fifty-three per cent was either killed or wounded, and not an officer left except Captain Brown.

My left wing and centre fell back at my order, and were gallantly replaced by the Eleventh Missouri volunteers. In less than ten minutes one hundred and thirty-five of my regiment were formed in the front line in good order, and there remained during the balance of the day and through the following night — but the battle was over, and a most brilliant victory won.

I need not attempt to describe the fierce assault and murderous fire to which my command was exposed, either to General Stanley, commanding the division, or to Colonel Fuller, commanding the brigade, for the fighting of my regiment was in their immediate presence, and many of my men fell fighting bravely within an arm's length of them.

I cannot speak too highly of the conduct of the officers and men under my command. Captain Frank T. Gilmore, company A, was never, I believe, excelled by any young officer for efficiency and daring. When the enemy commenced the principal infantry attack, he was in front with his company, deployed as skirmishers. The fierceness of the assault forced him to retire around

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Tuscumbia River (Tennessee, United States) (2)
Ripley (Mississippi, United States) (2)
Chewalla (Tennessee, United States) (2)

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
October 9th, 1862 AD (2)
3rd (2)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: