previous next

[615] stopped to look back until they reached the intrenchments, just within the city.

Meantime General Sherman, who had left Raymond the day before and taken the road to the right just beyond the town, came up with the left wing of the enemy's forces and engaged them with artillery. They made a feeble resistance, and they, too, broke and ran, taking the road leading south from Jackson.

After a delay of half an hour, to enable our wearied soldiers to take breath, our column moved forward again.

We reached the fort, and found a magnificent battery of six pieces, which the enemy had left behind him, and a hundred new tents, awaiting appropriation.

The hospital flag was flying from the Deaf and Dumb Institute, and this was crowded with sick and wounded soldiers, who, of course, fell into our hands as prisoners of war. Opposite and all around this building were tents enough to encamp an entire division, and just in front of it, hauled out by the roadside, two small breech-loading two-pounder rifles, used to pick off officers.

Further down the street we found a pile of burning caissons, and on the opposite side of the street, directly in front of the Confederate House, the stores, filled with commissary and quarter-master's stores, were briskly consuming.

Directly in front of us the State House loomed up in ample proportions. Two officers of the Seventh division took the flag of the Fourth Minnesota infantry, and galloping rapidly forward, hoisted it from the flag-staff surmounting its broad dome. The beautiful flag was seen in the distance by the advancing column, and with cheers and congratulations it was greeted.

We had captured Jackson, the hotbed of the rebellion. Guards were established, a provost-marshal appointed, and the city placed under martial law. The citizens, particularly those who sustained official relations to the State and rebel governments, had left the city the evening before; but there were many soldiers left behind, and a large number in hospital who fell into our hands.

The State Treasurer and the Governor were gone, taking the funds and State papers with them. A large amount of government and military property fell into our hands; but private property was altogether unmolested. The offices of the Memphis Appeal and Jackson Mississippian were removed the preceding night — the former to Brandon and the latter to Mobile.

We now have quiet and undisturbed possession of Jackson.

One portion of the rebel force has moved out on the Canton road, and the other on the road south of the city, whence they will both doubtless make a detour around Jackson, outside of our lines, and unite at Edwards's Station, on the Vicksburgh and Jackson Railroad, where the citizens say they will give us battle.

Our loss in the gallant charge by General Crocker's division this morning will reach fifty killed and two hundred wounded. This is, of course, mere estimate, as no reports are yet handed in. For the same reason I am unable to give you the names of the sufferers. Several days must necessarily elapse before this information can be made public. This division will return to Clinton to-morrow, leaving General Tuttle to occupy the city.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Stonewall Jackson (2)
Tuttle (1)
T. W. Sherman (1)
Frederick Crocker (1)
Brandon (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: