previous next

[504] Captain J. V. Price, with four guns; and Captain J. A. Blackshear, also with four guns — to Major-General Huger, at our advance lines, on the Williamsburg road. My batteries were held in reserve to support General Huger's command. On the evening of that day, I was joined by Lieutenant Maddux, with one gun of Captain Hamilton's battery--Lieutenant Stiener, of the same company, having obtained permission to report to General Toombs, with two guns of the battery. I have had no report of his operations. With the above-mentioned batteries, in all fifteen guns, I remained personally on the ground, in rear of General Huger's command, and near the enemy's lines, until Sunday morning, the twenty-ninth; and although we did no actual service, except shelling the enemy's pickets in the woods, we were at all times ready to meet the enemy, and, from his position and superior force, were hourly expecting an engagement. On the twenty-ninth, on being informed that the enemy had abandoned their intrenchments, and were in full retreat, and the division being well supplied with artillery, General Huger ordered two of my batteries--Captains Price and Blackshear--back to our camp near Richmond, there to be held in reserve, to await orders. Myself, with Captain Ross's battery, and Lieutenant Maddux, with his gun, were assigned to General Wright's brigade, and ordered on the Charles City road. The whole command was delayed in moving in this direction by a despatch from General Magruder, asking for assistance in the enemy's rear; and at nightfall we had only moved a few miles on the Charles City road. On the afternoon of the thirtieth, General Huger's advance came up to the enemy; and, about three o'clock, I was ordered forward with my batteries. (This point was some two miles north of the battle-field of the same day, where Generals Longstreet and Hill engaged the enemy.) My batteries arrived promptly on the ground, but were not ordered into the artillery duel then going on. This position was held during the night; and, on the first of July, the enemy having disappeared, and the way clear, we moved upon the battle-field of Monday. My now small command (seven guns) was assigned a place near the battle-field of Tuesday, the first instant; and, although I am sure that more artillery could have been used with advantage in the engagement, and also that my command could have done good service, yet I received no orders, and, therefore, I had not the honor to participate in any of the many engagements for the protection of the capital. The position assigned me was held until Monday, the seventh instant, when, by General Huger's order, I returned to my camp at this place, all my other batteries having previously returned. It is proper to mention that Captain C. V. Crawford volunteered to take charge of one of Captain Price's guns, as his own battery was not ready for the field. This he did, and remained with it until the company was ordered back to camp.

The officers and men of the several companies deserve great credit for their great promptness, and their anxiety to share the dangers and honors with those noble commands who fought on every field.

All of which is respectfully submitted.

With great respect, I have the honor to be,

Your obedient servant,

A. S. Cutts, Lieutenant-Colonel, commanding First Battalion, Reserve Corps.

Report of Captain Ancell.

in camp, July 12, 1862.
Major Charles Richardson, commanding Reserve Artillery:
Major: I have the honor to report, in accordance with an order to report what transpired in my company from the twenty-sixth June to second July, 1862:

On Thursday, June twentieth, I was ordered, by yourself, to take our battery to a position on the Chickahominy, about one mile below the Mechanicsville road, and to hold the position in case the enemy should attempt to cross there. No such attempt being made by the enemy, I only waited in position until Friday morning, when, the enemy having been driven below this point, I, in obedience to your order, moved my battery back to camp, together with a large rifle gun under the command of Captain Masters.

On Friday evening, in compliance with your order, I took command of, and carried this large gun to a point on theNine-mile road, near the farm of Dr. Garnett, at which point I remained until Sunday morning, June twenty-ninth, when, no opportunity offering to bring it to bear upon the enemy, it was, in accordance with your orders, moved back to camp. On Tuesday, the first instant, I carried the same piece down the Darbytown road, as directed by you, to Fussell's farm, near the scene of the fight of that evening, but was not able to get into a position from which to use it against the foe, and, on the next morning, returned with it to camp.

With the exception of these several orders, ended any part taken by my company in the struggles around Richmond. I will take occasion to say, though not actually engaged, the men acted in a manner entirely satisfactory, and evinced an earnest desire to take an active part in the late great struggles around Richmond; but as all this occurred under your immediate observation, I will only say that they obeyed all orders cheerfully and soldierly.

Major, I have the honor to be,

Yours, with high respect,

Report of Lieutenant Woolfolk.

headquarters company A, Second battalion reserve artillery, July 11. 1862.
Major Charles Richardson, commanding Second Battalion Reserve Artillery Corps:
Major: In pursuance of your orders, I have the honor to make the following report of the services of this battery from the twenty-sixth of June. At this date, we were on picket duty at

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
June 26th (2)
1st (2)
July 12th, 1862 AD (1)
July 11th, 1862 AD (1)
July 2nd, 1862 AD (1)
July 1st (1)
June 29th (1)
June 20th (1)
30th (1)
29th (1)
7th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: