previous next

[532] with my battery. I did so, and engaged the enemy at White Oak Swamp for about five hours.

On Tuesday, the first July, early in the morning, I received orders from General Hampton to send my battery forward immediately; but owing to the loss of horses sustained, and also to the want of ammunition, (my supply having been nearly exhausted the day previous,) I could only prepare a section of my battery for immediate action. This section was sent forward to Malvern Hill, under Lieutenant Jones, where I joined it and assumed command, as soon as I had made a requisition for ammunition for the other guns.

I may here state that I arrived on the field before a shot had been fired from either of my guns. During this day my command was exposed to a terrific fire both from the enemy's infantry and artillery. We remained upon the field until the sun had gone down, and only left then because we had exhausted our ammunition.

During the engagement of Monday, my command generally behaved well. The same may be said of their conduct on Tuesday. Those who form an exception have already been reported for publication to the world.

On Monday, the thirtieth June, Lieutenants Jones and Adams assisted me in the command of the battery, and discharged their duty well.

On Tuesday, the first July, Lieutenant Jones alone aided me, Lieutenant Adams having been sent by me to the ordnance train in charge of some caissons. In the two engagements, I had few casualties. They are as follows:

Killed: private Charles W. Gay.

Wounded: privates Rufus Bennet, severely, in thigh; W. L. Snead, painfully, in foot, and John B. Turner, slightly, in hand.

I make no mention of some whose wounds were so slight as not to deserve the name. Several of my battery horses were disabled, and the horse of Lieutenant Jones was shot from under him.

Very respectfully,

George W. Wooding, Captain Danville Artillery.

Report of Lieutenant-Colonel Botts.

headquarters Second regiment Virginia volunteers, July 13, 1862.
Captain: In obedience to orders, I have the honor to report that at an early hour on the morning of June twenty-seventh, from camp near Tottopotomy Creek, the Second regiment, under Colonel Allen, was put on the march, and moved all day toward the enemy. About five, the fire of musketry being exceedingly heavy, the regiment moved rapidly forward, and was drawn up in line of battle immediately in rear of Ball's old tavern, exposed to the shells of the enemy. In a few minutes this regiment and the Fifth Virginia, under Colonel Baylor, were ordered a short distance to the front to support the Purcell battery, and while in this position, Captain Burgess, of company F, Second regiment, was wounded. Soon these regiments were moved to the left, and the whole brigade, by command of General Winder, was drawn up in line of battle, and ordered to charge a battery whose shells had for some time been sweeping the field around us. The Second regiment responded promptly to the call. The charge was made through a wood of thick undergrowth, over a marsh, and the men became separated: forming the line again, the men pressed steadily forward, leaving behind, in an open field, whole regiments which had been previously sent forward. About seven, the regiment, numbering about eighty men, reached a hill near McGee's house, and found the fire of the enemy's batteries and their supports terrible.

Here Colonel Allen and Lieutenant Keeler, of company C, fell; Major Jones, Captain Colston, and Lieutenant Kinsey were wounded; and several of the men were killed and wounded.

The regiment being in advance, or at least separated from the brigade, and few in numbers, did not advance, but gallantly held its position. General Winder soon coming up, and seeing the position, gave orders to maintain the hill while he brought up reinforcements, which could be seen in our rear. Hurrying these up, the line of battle was again formed, and the order to charge was given by General Winder. As before, the regiment gallantly answered. Our troops rushed forward, the enemy fell back in retreat, and late in the evening the enemy had fled, leaving us in possession of the field, upon which we remained all night.

I cannot close the report of this day without bearing testimony to the gallant conduct of Colonel Allen, Major Jones, Captain Colston, Captain Burgess, Lieutenants Keeler and Kinsey, and, indeed, to the officers and men of the regiment.

On Saturday, the regiment remained near McGee's. On Sunday, we were marched as far as Grapevine Bridge, and returned about nightfall to our camp. Monday, we crossed the Chickahominy and the York River Railroad, and bivouacked near White Oak Swamp, and moved Tuesday, July first, on the Shirley road, halting occasionally for some time. Heavy artillery fire all the while heard in front. Passing a church, we were placed in a wood, about five P. M., to the right of the road, and remained there over an hour, some of the regiments of the brigade being within reach of the shells of the enemy. About half past 6, the brigade was ordered from the woods to the road. The thick undergrowth delayed the movements of the Second and Fifth regiments so much that when the left of the Second reached the road, neither the Twenty-seventh, Fourth, or Thirty-third were in sight. The road was crowded with artillery and regiments hastening from the battle-field.

The regiment was pushed forward as rapidly as possible on the road, and Sergeant-Major Burwell sent in advance to ascertain the route taken by General Winder, and by his exertions we followed in his tracks. Night was rapidly closing in. The regiment was in the woods to the right of the road, marching upon the left flank of the enemy, and exposed to the fire of their artillery. Leaving the woods, we entered a field which was

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
White Oak Swamp (Virginia, United States) (2)
Shirley (Virginia, United States) (1)
Malvern Hill (Virginia, United States) (1)

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
July 1st (3)
July 13th, 1862 AD (1)
June 30th (1)
June 27th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: