previous next

[455] gallantry, discharging every duty and responding to every order, with commendable promptness.

Since all acted so well, I cannot particularize. Scott's battery, under First Lieutenant John H. Marsh, advanced with the brigade, and took position, as ordered, under a heavy and destructive fire of the enemy, so much so, that a number of men and horses were disabled before the battery was placed for action. Immediately a rapid and well-directed fire was opened upon the enemy, with telling effect upon his ranks. This fire was vigorously maintained until the brigade was relieved and ordered to the rear. It was in this engagement that First Lieutenant John H. Marsh was severely, if not dangerously, wounded, while gallantly encouraging his men and inspiring them by his own distinguished coolness and heroism. The command then devolved upon Second Lieutenant A. T. Watson, who, throughout the engagement, acted with commendable bravery.

In bringing on the engagement and in driving the enemy the battalion of sharpshooters did efficient service, both officers and men acting well their parts.

After supplying the command with ammunition and taking position as ordered, it was found that Scott's battery was so disabled, by the loss of men and horses, as to be unfit for action during the evening. Turner's battery, of Maney's brigade, was ordered to report to General Smith. It was placed on the right of the brigade, and did effective service in checking the second advance of the enemy. Throughout the evening Lieutenant Turner poured a murderous fire into the enemy's ranks, his coolness and disregard of danger eliciting the highest praise from the officers and men of the entire brigade. It was while supporting this battery that Major Dawson, One Hundred and Fifty-fourth senior Tennessee regiment, in command of the battalion of sharpshooters, was severely wounded in the groin.

The enemy, finding it impossible to drive us from our position, sullenly retired out of range, and comparative quiet prevailed along our line until six o'clock P. M., when General Smith, being informed that a night attack was determined upon, was ordered, so soon as General Deshler's brigade of Major-General Cleburne's division should advance to his front, to move his brigade forward as General Deshler's support. After having advanced in this order some two hundred yards, the engagement was commenced on the right and extended to Deshler's brigade in our front. Advancing a short distance further, it being quite dark, a portion of this brigade became somewhat confused and fell back on our line. General Smith ordered them to move forward which order was obeyed. We continued to advance but a short distance, when they a second time fell back on our line and were again urged forward by General Smith. Instead of moving direct to the front, they obliqued to the left and uncovered the two right regiments of General Smith's brigade. In the darkness, General Smith did not know this, and a third time coming upon troops at a halt in his immediate front, presuming them to belong to General Deshler's command, he and Captain Thomas H. King, volunteer Aid, rode to the front to ascertain the delay. On riding up to the line (which proved to be the enemy) and asking who was in command of these troops, he was discovered to be a Confederate officer, and he and Captain King were both killed. I, at the same time, was in front of my regiments, accompanied by Captain Donelson, acting Assistant Adjutant-General to General Smith, to know the cause of the delay of what I supposed to be a portion of General Deshler's command. Riding up to a soldier, I asked him to what command he belonged. Discovering that I was a Confederate officer, he fired at me, missing me, but killing Captain Donelson, who was by my side. I immediately ordered some files from the Twelfth Tennessee regiment to shoot him, which they did, killing him instantly. The line in front, seeing their situation, cried out, “Don't shoot; we surrender.” I then rode forward, and found them in the act of grounding their arms. Discovering a stand of colors in my front, I asked, “Who has those colors?” The reply was, “The color-bearer.” I then said, “Sir, to what command do you belong?” He replied, “To the seventy-seventh Pennsylvania regiment.” I then took from him the stand of colors and handed them to Captain Carthell, Forty-seventh Tennessee regiment, and ordered him to turn them, with the prisoners captured, about three hundred in number, over to General Cheatham.

The reason that I have been thus explicit in detailing the facts connected with the capture of the stand of colors is, they were claimed to have been captured by General Deshler's command.

Being informed that General Smith had been killed, I assumed the command of the brigade, the command of my regiment devolving upon Lieutenant-Colonel R. W. Pittman.

After this there was no more firing of consequence. Orders were received from Major-General Cheatham to bivouac in line of battle for the remainder of the night.

On the twentieth my brigade was not actively engaged, being held as a reserve. We were, however, subjected to a heavy artillery fire, killing and wounding several men. Late in the evening we were ordered to the extreme right, where we remained until the morning of the twenty-first September. I then ordered the battalion of sharpshooters, under command of Majors Green and Pearl, to deploy (so as to cover the front of my brigade) and move as far as the top of Missionary Ridge, or discover the whereabouts of the enemy. In a short time, they reported the enemy in the valley around Chattanooga.

At three o'clock P. M., we were ordered to the extreme right of the line, and bivouacked for the night near Byrd's Mill.

On the morning of the twenty-second of September

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
September 22nd (1)
September 21st (1)
20th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: