previous next

[39] happiness at last arrived in the times of Turell and Osgood; and, for more than a century, Medford has appeared one of the most thriving villages in the vicinity of Boston.

The shadows in this picture, we think, are darker than the records will warrant.

The first settlers came to Medford in June, 1630. The grant of land to Mr. Cradock was March 4, 1634. Here, therefore, were almost four years in which the first comers were gathering and settling before Mr. Cradock came into possession. His prosperous company would naturally induce others to come here; and, when they had thus settled, they would form a government; and, when all these things were done, it would not be policy for Mr. Cradock to disturb or remove such friends. For more than three years they labored on the land, and made an agricultural beginning, confirmed by Mr. Cradock. In his letter he gives special charge concerning all such ; that every thing be done for their safety and comfort. These were the fathers of Medford. 1633: An historian says of the colonists: “Although they were in such great straights for food that many of them ate their bread by weight, yet they did not faint in spirit.” Gov. Winthrop, Sept. 9, 1630, says : “It is enough that we shall have heaven, though we pass through hell to it.”

As soon as Gov. Winthrop had settled himself on the Ten-Hill Farm, in 1630, he recommended Gov. Cradock's men to plant themselves directly opposite him on the north side of the river. They did so. A promontory there, jutting towards the south into the marsh, was the only safe place then to build upon. It is about sixty rods south-east of the ancient house now standing on the farm of Messrs. James and Isaac Wellington. The marshes stretch away from this promontory, on every side except the north, where it joins the mainland. On its highest point they built the first house erected in Medford. This was in July, 1630. There are persons now living who knew an old lady, named Blanchard, who was born in that house. It was probably a log-house, of large dimensions, with a small, deep cellar, having a chimney of bricks laid in clay. The cellar was walled up with stone, and has been destroyed but a few years. The bricks, very similar to those in Gov. Cradock's mansion-house, have been in part removed. We have to-day (April 25, 1855) taken away half a dozen of them as specimens of the

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Medford (Massachusetts, United States) (4)

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Mathew Cradock (6)
John Winthrop (2)
Isaac Wellington (1)
Ebenezer Turell (1)
David Osgood (1)
Galen James (1)
William Blanchard (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
April 25th, 1855 AD (1)
March 4th, 1634 AD (1)
1633 AD (1)
September 9th, 1630 AD (1)
July, 1630 AD (1)
June, 1630 AD (1)
1630 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: