The cavalry depot at Giesboro, D. C.The cavalry depot at Giesboro, D. C., established in July, 1863, was the place where remounts were furnished to the cavalry and artillery of the Army of the Potomac during the last two years of the war. The tents in the lower photograph are those of the officers in charge of that immense establishment, where they received and issued thousands of horses. Convalescents who had lost their mounts, with men to be remounted, were drawn upon to help take care of the horses, until their departure for the front. This photograph was taken in May, 1864, when Grant and Lee were grappling in the Wilderness and at Spottsylvania, only seventy miles distant. The inspection of horses for remounting was made by experienced cavalry officers, while the purchasing was under the Quartermaster's Department.