The Cavalry Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia was a growth, not a creation.
Its nucleus was formed of three cavalry companies, at Harper's Ferry
, in April, 1861. “Clarke
's cavalry” was stationed at the bridge over the Shenandoah River
near Harper's Ferry
's company was at the bridge over the Potomac River
at the Point of Rocks
, and Drake
's company was at the bridge at Brunswick
J. E. B. Stuart
was commissioned as lieutenant-colonel and assigned to the command of the cavalry in the district then commanded by Colonel T. J. Jackson
When General Joseph E. Johnston
relieved Colonel Jackson
, the forces were withdrawn from Harper's Ferry
, and the headquarters of that army were at Winchester
, in the Shenandoah valley.
On July 1, 1861, General Patterson
crossed the Potomac
with the intention of operating against General Johnston
, and preventing him from reenforcing Beauregard
The first engagement of any kind between these opposing forces is known as “the affair at Falling Waters
,” in which Jackson
, with three hundred and eighty infantry and one piece of artillery, detained the advance of Patterson
's army for some days.
, with his cavalry, was reconnoitering on Patterson
's right flank.
While passing along the edge of a piece of woods, he came suddenly upon a company of Pennsylvania
infantry, separated from him by a high rail fence.
, dressed in a blue-flannel coat and corduroy trousers, rode to the fence and in peremptory tones