|Confederate artillerists These Confederate artillerists, members of the famous Washington Artillery of New Orleans, had but few field-pieces with which to face their foes when this photograph was taken, early in 1862. Some ordnance stores had been secured when the Confederate Government seized coastwise guns and forts. But a visit to the artillery camps later in the war would have revealed the fact that most of the three-inch rifles, the Napoleons, and the Parrott guns had been originally “Uncle Sam's” property, later captured in battle; and an inspection of the cavalry would have shown, after the first year, that the Southern troopers were armed with United States sabers taken from the same bountiful source. During the first year, before the blockade became stringent, Whitworth guns were brought in from abroad. But that supply was soon stopped, and the Southerners had to look largely to their opponents for weapons. The Tredegar Iron Works in Richmond was almost the only factory for cannon, especially for pieces of heavy caliber. It is estimated by ordnance officers that two-thirds of the artillery in the South was captured from the Federals, especially the 3-inch rifles and the 10-pound Parrotts.|
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.