The forces under General Johnston
in May, 1861, while at Harper's Ferry
were supplied with the 6-pounder gun and 12-pounder howitzer.
in July, he brought four brigades with four batteries and two in reserve.
had eight brigades with thirty-four guns, which, under orders of July 20th, he distributed for the action as follows: Six pieces to Ewell
, eight to Jones
, eight to Longstreet
, and twelve to Cocke
The Washington Artillery at this time had four 12-pound howitzers, four 6-pounders, and three rifles, distributed among the different batteries.
Twenty-eight pieces captured in the battle added to the supply.
General Henry A. Wise
, in West Virginia
, reports about the same time having “ten small pieces, six of iron, three of brass, and one piece, private property,” with nine officers and one hundred and seventy-seven men.
In April, 1862, the artillery in Johnston
's army had grown to thirty-four batteries, McLaws
' Division of four brigades having nine batteries, Toombs
' Division of three brigades having two battalions, Longstreet
's Division of five brigades having five batteries, with Pendleton
's Artillery, thirty-six pieces, and the Washington Artillery in reserve.
In July, 1862, the batteries were distributed as follows:
|Longstreet's Division:||6 brigades,||8 batteries|
|A. P.Hill's Division:||6 brigades,||9 batteries|
|Jones' Division:||2 brigades,||3 batteries|
|D. H. Hill's Division:||6 brigades,||7 batteries|
|Anderson's Division:||3 brigades,||6 batteries|
|McLaws' Division:||4 brigades,||4 batteries|
This gave thirty-seven batteries to twenty-seven brigades, with Pendleton
's First Virginia Artillery of ten companies, Cutt
's Georgia Artillery of five companies, and three battalions of eleven companies in reserve.
During the operations around Richmond
in August, 1862, the artillery of the army was distributed as follows: