At the beginning of the Civil War
the Confederate States
had very few improved small arms, no powder-mills of any importance, very few modern cannon, and only the small arsenals that had been captured from the Federal Government
These were at Charleston
, Mount Vernon (Alabama)
, Baton Rouge
, and Apalachicola
The machinery that was taken from Harper's Ferry Armory after its abandonment by the Federals
was removed to Richmond, Virginia
, and Fayetteville, North Carolina
, where it was set up and operated.
There were some State armories containing a few small arms and a few old pieces of heavy ordnance.
There was scarcely any gunpowder except about sixty thousand pounds of old cannon-powder at Norfolk
There was almost an entire lack of other ordnance stores — no saddles and bridles, no artillery harness, no accouterments, and very few of the minor articles required for the equipment of an army.
There was a considerable number of heavy sea-coast guns at the fortified seaports, and others were seized on board men-of-war at Norfolk
and among the stores of the Norfolk Navy-Yard
The supply of field-pieces amounted to almost nothing.
The States owned a few modern guns, but the most of those on hand were old iron guns, used in the war of 1812-15.