The reduction and final capture of the Confederate strongholds that guarded the important ports of entry of the Confederacy
on the Atlantic coast
and the Gulf
were in every case a cooperation between the navy and the army, and to both belong the honor of the successful outcome, which, singly and alone, neither branch of the service could have accomplished.
The old brick and mortar fortress of Pulaski
guarded the entrance to the Savannah River
Late in 1861, almost entirely through the use of the navy, the Federals
had control of the Atlantic coast
, and in the vicinity of Savannah
their ships were patrolling the waters of Ossabaw
and Wassaw sounds
, and their gunboats had penetrated up the Edisto River
in the direction of the city.
's frowning guns afforded shelter for any blockade-runners that might succeed in eluding the blockading fleet.
It was necessary to reduce this strong fortress before a stop could be put to the attempts of the venturesome runners.
General Q. A. Gillmore
directed the placing of batteries of rifled guns and mortars upon Big Tybee Island, and by the end of February, 1862, other batteries were erected in the rear of the fort, completely enfilading it.
On the 10th of April, 1862, thirty-six heavy rifled cannon and mortars began the bombardment, and after two days of uninterrupted firing, although the Fort
was gallantly defended, it was so badly battered that it was forced to surrender.
But Fort McAllister
, at the mouth of the Ogeechee
, did not fall until W. T. Sherman
had arrived at the end of his march from Atlanta
and General Hazen
's troops carried the battery by assault.