|The “Hartford” after “passing the forts” a second time: the altered appearance of the famous ship on her voyage of peace The photographic chronicling of the “most daring deed” would remain incomplete without this presentment of the gallant “Hartford” as she paused at Baton Rouge on a second and peaceful visit in 1882. The rule against the inclusion of any but war-time scenes in this photographic history has therefore been suspended in favor of this striking photograph — previously unpublished like the others. The people of New Orleans who remembered the “Hartford” in 1862 would hardly have recognized her when, twenty years afterward, she once more steamed up the river and dropped her anchor off the levee. Her appearance, it is seen, was greatly changed; her engines had been altered and she was a much faster vessel than before. When she had passed through the iron hail from the forts, she was not so trim as she is in this picture. Her top-gallant masts had been sent down and all but her lower yards were on deck; cables were slung along her sides and she was stripped for the fray. Lytle, the Confederate photographer, who had photographed the grand old flagship and her consorts in war-time, also took this photograph of her when she came as a peaceful visitor. The “Hartford” had been for a long time on the European station, and there was hardly a port at which she entered where her name and her fame had not preceded her. Her decks were constantly thronged with visitors, and among her crew were many of the men who had fought with Farragut. These prideful veterans could still point out some of her honorable scars as they told their adventures.|
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.