previous next

[190] the Civil War, and became the first commander of the Second Army Corps. He was made major-general of volunteers, July 4, 1862. He was wounded in the Peninsula campaign and also at Antietam. Upon Burnside's reorganization of the army, he commanded the Right Grand Division. When Hooker was put at the head, Major-General Sumner was relieved at his own request, and sent to the Department of Missouri. But he died on the way there, at Syracuse, New York, March 21, 1863.

Major-General Darius Nash Couch

(U. S. M. A. 1846) was born in Putnam County, New York, July 23, 1822, and served in the Mexican and the Seminole wars, being brevetted first lieutenant in the former. In 1855, he resigned from the army and entered mercantile life in New York city, but returned to his profession at the opening of the Civil War as colonel of volunteers. He was identified with the Department and Army of the Potomac, first as brigade commander (August, 1861-March, 1862), then as division commander in the Fourth Army Corps to September, 1862, when he was made major-general of volunteers and his division was transferred to the Sixth Corps. In October, 1862, Couch was placed at the head of the Second Corps, which he led at Fredericksburg and at Chancellorsville. From June, 1863, to December, 1864, he was at the head of the Department of the Susquehanna, when he was given a division of the Twenty-third Army Corps, and fought at the battle of Nashville. He resigned from the army in 1865, and was defeated for governor of Massachusetts on the Democratic ticket in the same year. Subsequently, he was collector of the port of Boston, and quartermaster-general and adjutant-general of Connecticut. He died in Norwalk, Connecticut, February 12, 1897.

Brigadier-General William Hays

(U. S.M. A. 1840) was born in Richmond, Virginia, in 1819, and served in the Mexican War. As lieutenant-colonel he had a brigade of horse artillery in the Army of the Potomac through the Peninsula campaign, the artillery reserve at Antietam, and the artillery of the Right Grand Division at Fredericksburg. In November, 1862, he was made brigadier-general of volunteers, and at Chancellorsville, in command of a brigade in the Second Army Corps he was wounded and captured. He was exchanged, and after the wounding of Hancock at Gettysburg, he had command of the corps for a short time. Then he spent some time in the Department of the East and later had a brigade in the Second Corps. He died in Fort Independence, Boston Harbor, February 7, 1875.

Major-General Gershom Mott

was born in Trenton, New Jersey, April 7, 1822, and served in the Mexican War. He went to the front in the Civil War as lieutenant-colonel of the Fifth New Jersey Infantry, and later became colonel of the Sixth New Jersey. In September, 1862, he was promoted to brigadier-general of volunteers, and had a brigade in the Third Corps from December, 1862, to March, 1864, and then had consecutively two divisions of the Second Corps. Several times he took command of the corps during the absence of Major-General Humphreys. Mott was brevetted major-general of volunteers in August, 1864, and received the title May 28, 1865, shortly before being mustered out. After the war, he was at one time treasurer of the State of New Jersey, and died in New York city, November 29, 1884.

Major-General Nelson Appleton miles

was born in Westminster, Massachusetts, August 8, 1839. He entered mercantile life, but went to the front in the Civil War as first lieutenant in the Twenty-second Massachusetts Infantry, and in May, 1862, he was made lieutenant-colonel of the Sixty-first New York Infantry. By September he had risen to a colonelcy of volunteers. He fought with the Army of the Potomac in all its battles and was wounded at Chancellorsville. From March to July, 1864, he had a brigade in the Second Corps and was made brigadier-general in May. The rank of major-general of volunteers was given him in October, 1865. After the war he entered the regular army as colonel, and his chief service was against the Indians in the West. In the Spanish-American War he commanded the United States army, and personally led the Porto Rico expedition, and upon the reorganization of the Army of the United States he was appointed lieutenant-general (1900), being retired with that rank three years later.

Major-General Winfield Scott Hancock

(U. S.M. A. 1844) was born in Montgomery Square, Pennsylvania, February 14, 1824. He served in the Mexican War and in the border troubles in Kansas, and had risen to the rank of captain when the Civil War broke out. He was

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: