Ninteenth Army CorpsOn January 5, 1863, the troops in the Department of the Gulf were constituted the Nineteenth Army Corps, with Major-General N. P. Banks in command. Its other leaders were Major-General W. B. Franklin, Brigadier-Generals W. H. Emory, B. S. Roberts, M. K. Lawler, and Major-General J. J. Reynolds. It operated in Louisiana, took part in the investment of Port Hudson, and did garrison duty until it went on the Red River expedition in March, 1864, where it was prominent at Sabine Cross Roads and in other engagements. In July, the First and Second divisions, under Emory, went to Virginia, and entered the Army of the Shenandoah and fought at the Opequon, Fisher's Hill, and Cedar Creek. This ‘detachment,’ as it was called until November 7th, was commanded by Brigadier-Generals W. H. Emory and Cuvier Grover, and after the campaign in the Shenandoah, it went, in different sections, to Savannah. Some of the troops were afterward attached to the Tenth Corps; others remained in Savannah until the corps was discontinued on March 20, 1865, and even longer. On November 7, 1864, the portion of the corps that had remained in Louisiana was discontinued, and the designation, Nineteenth Army Corps, passed to the divisions operating in the Shenandoah valley. Most of the troops in Louisiana were put in the Gulf Reserve Corps, which, in February, 1865, became the new Thirteenth Corps, and assisted at the capture of Mobile.
Queen Anne's County, Maryland, September 9, 1811. He served in the Mexican War, and later was appointed astronomer to the commission which determined the boundary between Mexico and the United States. As colonel, he entered the Civil War in the cavalry of the Army of the Potomac, and, as brigadier-general of volunteers, had a brigade in the Fourth Army Corps after the Peninsula campaign. In 1863, he was sent to the Department of the Gulf, where, for a time, he was in charge of the defenses of New Orleans, and in May, 1864, he assumed command of the Nineteenth Army Corps. In July, with two divisions, he went to Washington and the Shenandoah valley to assist in the campaign against Early. He received the rank of major-general of volunteers in September, 1865, and commanded several departments after the war, being retired in 1876, as brigadier-general. He died in Washington, December 1, 1887.
Twentieth Army CorpsThe right wing of the Army of the Cumberland was made the Twentieth Army Corps on January 9, 1863, under Brigadier-General A. McD. McCook, who held it until October 9, 1863, when it was merged in the Fourth Corps, which had been created on September 28th. It was prominent in the engagement at Liberty Gap, Tennessee, June 25th, during the advance of the army to Tullahoma, and eight of its brigades were in the battle of Chickamauga.
Columbiana County, Ohio, April 22, 1831, and was the son of Major Daniel McCook, whose eight other sons also served in the Civil War. He did garrison duty in the West and was an instructor at West Point. He was colonel of the First Ohio at Bull Run, and then, as brigadier-general of volunteers, went to the department of the Ohio, where he had a command, and, later, a division at Shiloh and elsewhere, until he headed the First Corps, Army of the Ohio, in the Kentucky campaign against Bragg. He had been made major-general of volunteers in July. He had command of the right wing (Army of the Cumberland), which bore the brunt of the attack at Stone's River. In the new organization of the army, he commanded the Twentieth Corps until after the battle of Chickamauga. Later, he had command of the northern defenses of Washington, and the District of Eastern Kansas. Retiring from the volunteer service, he resumed his rank of lieutenant-colonel in the regular army, serving with the Twenty-sixth and other infantry regiments. He was aide-de-Camp to General Sherman from 1875 to 1880. In 1890 he was made brigadier-general, and became major-general, in 1894. He held several public positions of honor, and was retired in 1895. General McCook served on a commission to investigate the administration of the War Department during the Spanish war. He died in Dayton, Ohio, June 12, 1903.