previous next


A corps with the designation of Twentieth was created on April 4, 1864, from the troops of the Eleventh and Twelfth corps which, under Hooker, had joined the Army of the Cumberland in October, 1863. One division never joined the main body and finally engaged in Thomas' campaign against Hood in Tennessee, but the remainder followed the fortunes of the Atlanta campaign, and one of its brigades was the first to enter that city. On the march to the sea and the campaign through the Carolinas, the Twentieth Corps was part of Slocum's Army of Georgia. The corps commanders were Major-Generals Joseph Hooker, Henry W. Slocum, Joseph A. Mower, and Brigadier-General Alpheus S. Williams. The corps was discontinued on June 1, 1865.

Twenty-first Army Corps

The left wing of the Army of the Cumberland was made the Twenty-first Army Corps on January 9, 1863, and the command was given to Major-General T. L. Crittenden. Its other commanders were Brigadier-Generals T. J. Wood and Major-General J. M. Palmer. On October 9th, it was consolidated with the original Twentieth Corps and merged in the new Fourth Corps. The only battle the Twenty-first Corps participated in as an organization was Chickamauga, where one division fought with Thomas throughout the entire battle.

Major-General Thomas Leonidas Crittenden

was born in Russellville, Kentucky, May 15, 1815, and became a lawyer. He served in the Mexican War and later was United States consul at Liverpool, until 1853. In September, 1861, he was given a division in the Army of the Ohio under Buell, and was made major-general of volunteers for his conduct at Shiloh. In the campaign against Bragg, in Kentucky, he commanded the Second Corps, Army of the Ohio; the Left Wing, Army of the Cumberland, at Stone's River and the Twenty-first Army Corps at Chickamauga. For a short period, May-June, 1864, he led a division in the Ninth Corps. He resigned from the volunteer service in December, 1864, and after the war reentered the regular army as colonel. He received the brevet of brigadier-general in 1867, was retired in 1881, and died on Staten Island, New York, October 23, 1893.

Twenty-second Army Corps

Created February 2, 1863, and consisted of the troops occuping the defenses of Washington. It was first headed by Major-General S. P. Heintzelman, and he was succeeded by Major-Generals C. C. Augur and J. G. Parke. This corps saw active service only when it held the outer line of works during Lieutenant-General Early's attack on Washington, July 12, 1864. The roster of this corps was constantly changing as the troops were sent to reenforce other corps, so that it had no strong organization.

Major-General Christopher Colon Augur

(U. S.M. A. 1843) was born in New York, July 10, 1821. He served in the Mexican War, and the campaign against the Oregon Indians. He entered the Civil War as major in the infantry, and was made brigadier of volunteers in November, 1861. He was severely wounded at Cedar Mountain, August 9, 1862, where he commanded a division in the Second Corps, Army of Virginia. He subsequently, as major-general of volunteers, had a division in the Nineteenth Corps, Army of the Gulf, from January to July, 1863, and in October was put in command of the Twenty-second Army Corps (Department of Washington) where he remained until the close of the war. He returned to the regular army in 1866, as colonel, and was made brigadier-general in 1869. He commanded several departments in the West and South and was retired in July, 1885. He died in Washington, D. C., January 16, 1898.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: