Cavalry Forces—Department of the CumberlandThe cavalry was a separate command in the Army of the Cumberland after the reorganization of January 9, 1863. It was headed in turn by Major-General D. S. Stanley and Brigadier-Generals R. B. Mitchell, W. L. Elliott, and R. W. Johnson. In October, 1864, this force was included in the newly formed Cavalry Corps of the Military Division of the Mississippi.
Reserve Corps—Army of the CumberlandOrganized June 8, 1863, and discontinued October 9th, when the troops were merged in the reorganized Fourth and Fourteenth corps. Major-General Gordon Granger was its commander. It served through the Tullahoma campaign, and went to the assistance of Thomas at Chickamauga.
Reserve Corps—Army of the GulfThe troops of the Nineteenth Corps that were not sent to Washington and the Shenandoah valley were organized into the Reserve Corps of the Army of the Gulf, on December 5, 1864. It was commanded by Major-Generals J. J. Reynolds and Gordon Granger, and was merged in the reorganized Thirteenth Army Corps, February 18, 1865.
South Carolina Expeditional CorpsOrganized under the command of Brigadier-General T. W. Sherman in September and October, 1861. It consisted of three brigades. This was the force that assisted the navy at the capture of Port Royal, occupying the abandoned works and garrisoning the base thus secured. It formed the nucleus of the Department of the South and the Tenth Army Corps.
Newport, Rhode Island, March 26, 1813. He served in the Seminole War and as captain in the War with Mexico. At the opening of the Civil War, he was lieutenant in the artillery, and was promoted to brigadier-general of volunteers, May 17, 1861. He was placed at the head of the South Carolina Expeditional Corps and commanded the land forces in the operations around Port Royal. After that, he commanded a division in Grant's Army of West Tennessee. In September, 1862, he was put at the head of the Federal troops at Carrollton, Louisiana, in the Department of the Gulf, and in January, 1863, took charge of the defenses of New Orleans. He went with Banks to Port Hudson, in May, 1863, as division commander in the Nineteenth Army Corps. After that, he was again stationed at New Orleans with the reserve artillery and at the defenses of the city. After leaving the volunteer service at the close of the war, he was colonel of the Third Artillery, at Fort Adams, Rhode Island. On December 31, 1870, he was retired with full rank, of major-general. He died in Newport, March 16, 1879.