Army of the OhioThe Department of the Ohio having been merged in that of Mississippi, March, 1862, it was recreated on August 19th, to consist of the States of Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Kentucky, east of the Tennessee River, and Major-General H. G. Wright was placed at the head. The troops of the department were scattered through many districts. Some of the brigades constituted the Army of Kentucky, of which Major-General Gordon Granger was in command. Wright was replaced March 25, 1863, by Major-General A. E. Burnside, and shortly afterward the troops in the department were reorganized into the Twenty-third Army Corps, and this force is the Army of the Ohio associated with the Knoxville, Atlanta, and Nashville campaigns. The Ninth Corps was attached to the department from March, 1863, to March, 1864. Burnside was succeeded in turn by Major-Generals J. G. Foster, J. M. Schofield, and George Stoneman. A cavalry division organized in April, 1864, was headed by Major-General Stoneman, and afterward by Colonels Capron and Garrard. On January 17, 1865, the troops still in the department (the Twenty-third Corps having gone to North Carolina) were annexed to the Department of the Cumberland.
Chautauqua County, New York, September 29, 1831. After garrison duty in Florida and South Carolina, he held the chair of natural philosophy at West Point and later at Washington University, St. Louis, where the outbreak of the Civil War found him. He had command of the District of St. Louis, Department of Missouri; Army of the Frontier; of a division in the Fourteenth Corps; the Department and Army of the Ohio, and of the Twenty-third Corps, which was transferred to North Carolina late in the war. He was made major-general of volunteers in November, 1862. His most noteworthy active services were rendered during the Atlanta campaign and at the battle of Franklin. After the Civil War he was Secretary of War ad interim, after the resignation of General Grant. He was commander of the United States army from 1888 to 1895, rising to the rank of lieutenant-general, at which he was retired in September, 1895. He died at St. Augustine, Florida, March 4, 1906.