previous next

[192] made brigadier-general of volunteers in September, 1861, and had a brigade in the Fourth Army Corps at Williamsburg, where McClellan called him ‘Hancock the Superb.’ At Antietam, he distinguished himself, and succeeded Richardson at the head of a division of the Second Corps. In November, 1862, he was made major-general of volunteers. His troops did noteworthy work at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, and Hancock received the Second Corps, in May, 1863. At Gettysburg, Meade sent him to take charge on the first day, after Reynolds' death, and on the third day he himself was severely wounded. In March, 1864, he resumed command of the Second Corps. He took charge of the Department of West Virginia and Middle Military Division in March, 1865. After the war, he became major-general in 1866, and commanded various departments. He was an unsuccessful candidate for the presidency against Garfield. Of Hancock, General Grant once said: ‘Hancock stands the most conspicuous figure of all the general officers who did not exercise a separate command. He commanded a corps longer than any other one, and his name was never mentioned as having committed in battle a blunder for which he was responsible.’ He died on Governor's Island, New York, February 9, 1886.

Major-General Andrew Atkinson Humphreys (U. S.M. A. 1831)

was born in Philadelphia, November 2, 1810. He was closely associated with engineering and coast-survey work until the outbreak of the Civil War, when, as major, he became a member of Major-General McClellan's staff. In April, 1862, he was made brigadier-general of volunteers and was chief topographical engineer of the Army of the Potomac during the Peninsula campaign. He had a division of the Fifth Corps from September, 1862, to May, 1863, and fought at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. He was then given a division of the Third Corps, and after Gettysburg was promoted to major-general of volunteers and made General Meade's chief of staff. In the final campaign against Lee, he had the Second Corps (November, 1864, to June, 1865). After being mustered out of the volunteer service, September 1, 1866, he was made brigadier-general and placed at the head of the Engineer Corps of the United States army. He was retired in July, 1879, and died in Washington, December 27, 1883. He received brevets for gallant and meritorious services at the battles of Fredericksburg, Va., Gettysburg, Pa., and Sailors Creek, Va.

Major-General John gibbon

(U. S.M. A. 1847) was born in Holmesburg, Pennsylvania, April 27, 1827, and served in the Mexican War. Later, he was instructor in artillery practice and quartermaster at West Point. He had reached the grade of captain when the Civil War broke out, and became McDowell's chief of artillery. He was promoted to brigadier-general of volunteers in May, 1862. He had a brigade in the Third Corps, Army of Virginia, and a brigade and division in the First Corps, Army of the Potomac. He was given a division in the Second Army Corps, which he held for the most part until August, 1864. When Hancock was sent by Meade to take charge at Gettysburg on the first day, Gibbon was given temporary command of the corps and was seriously wounded. As major-general of volunteers, he had command of the Eighteenth and Twenty-fourth army corps for short periods. When mustered out of the volunteer service, he continued in the regular army as colonel, and rose to be brigadier-general in 1885. He did much Indian fighting, and in 1891 was retired from active service. He died in Baltimore, February 6, 1896.

Major-General Francis Channing Barlow

was born in Brooklyn, New York, October 19, 1834, and was a Harvard graduate of 1855. He enlisted as a private in the Twelfth New York Militia, and after the three months service had expired, he returned to the field as lieutenant-colonel of the Sixty-first New York. His rise was rapid, due to ability displayed in the Army of the Potomac, and he was made brigadier-general of volunteers after the battle of Antietam (September, 1862), where he was badly wounded. He had a brigade in the Eleventh Corps at Chancellorsville, and a division at Gettysburg, when he was again badly wounded. On recovery, he was assigned to duty in the Department of the South and afterward given a division in the Second Army Corps, March 1864, and served until the Army of the Potomac was discontinued. He was made major-general of volunteers in May, 1865, for his conspicuous gallantry at the battle of Spotsylvania. In April and May, 1865, he had command of the Second Corps. General Barlow resigned from the Army November 16, 1865, and returned to New York, where he entered political life and resumed the practice of law. He was secretary of state of New York 1865-1868, and attorney-general for New York from 1871 to 1873, in which capacity he conducted the prosecution of ‘Boss’ Tweed and other municipal officials. He died in New York city, January 11, 1896.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: