previous next


Third Army Corps

On the reorganization of the Army of the Potomac in March, 1862, a body of troops, chiefly from Heintzelman's, Porter's and Hooker's divisions of the earlier organization, was constituted the Third Army Corps. In May, Porter's men were transferred to the new provisional Fifth Army Corps. The future additions to the corps were chiefly from the Eighth and Twenty-second corps. The corps fought in the battles of the Army of the Potomac, and two divisions were sent to the assistance of the Army of Virginia at Second Bull Run and Chantilly. On March 24, 1864, it was merged in the Second Corps. Its commanders were Brigadier-Generals S. P. Heintzelman and George Stoneman, and Major-Generals D. E. Sickles, D. B. Birney, and W. H. French.

Major-General Samuel peter Heintzelman

(U. S.M. A. 1826) was born in Manheim, Pennsylvania, September 30, 1805, and served on the frontier, in Florida, in the Mexican War, and in California and Texas. At the opening of the Civil War he was promoted to a colonelcy, and became inspector-general of the defenses of Washington. In May, 1861, he was placed in command at Alexandria, Virginia. He headed the Third Division at Bull Run, and in subsequent organizations of the Army of the Potomac he had a brigade, a division, and afterward the Third Corps, which he commanded until November, 1862. His conduct at Fair Oaks won him a brevet of brigadier-general, for he was now major-general of volunteers. He fought through the Peninsula campaign, and was sent to assist Pope at Second Bull Run and Chantilly. He was in command of the defenses and later of the Department of Washington (Twenty-second Army Corps) from September, 1862, to October, 1863. After this, he took no active part in the war, but was commander of the Northern Department from January to October, 1864, and then served on court martials. He was mustered out of the volunteer service August, 1865, and was retired from the army with the rank of major-general, February 22, 1869. He died in Washington, May 3, 1880.

Major-General George Stoneman

(U. S.M. A. 1846) was born in Busti, New York, August 8, 1822, and was captain in command at Fort Brown, Texas, when the Civil War broke out. He refused to obey the order of General Twiggs to surrender the property of the United States Government to the State of Texas, and escaped by steamer to New York. His first active service in the Civil War was as major in the West Virginia campaign, and as brigadier-general of volunteers he had the cavalry command in the Army of the Potomac. It was his troops that brought on the action at Williamsburg in May, 1862. After the death of Major-General Kearny, at Chantilly, he succeeded eventually to the command of his division, and later succeeded Major-General Heintzelman in the command of the Third Army Corps, which he led at Fredericksburg. He was promoted to major-general of volunteers in command of the Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac, and led a famous raid toward Richmond during the Chancellorsville campaign. From January to April, 1864, he was in command of the Twenty-third Army Corps, and then received the cavalry division of the same organization. After a raid in the Atlanta campaign, in which he was captured and held prisoner for three months, he assumed command of the Department of the Ohio, and later the District of East Tennessee, where his operations were very successful, especially his raid into North Carolina, in April, 1865. He was retired from the regular army with the rank of colonel, in 1871, and went to California, of which State he was governor from 1883 to 1887. He died in Buffalo, New York, September 5, 1894.

Major-General Daniel Edgar Sickles

was born in New York city, October 20, 1825. Admitted to the bar in 1846, he afterward served in the State legislature, the diplomatic service, and in Congress, where he was when the Civil War broke out. He raised the Excelsior Brigade of five New York regiments, which served in the Army of the Potomac with Sickles as brigadier-general of volunters at its head. In March, 1862, it was incorporated in the Third Army Corps. He led his brigade through the Peninsula campaign, commanded a division at Fredericksburg and, as major-general of volunteers, the Third Corps at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. In the latter battle he lost a leg on the second day. He continued in the army after the close of the war, and was retired with rank of major-general in 1869. He went on a secret diplomatic mission to South America in 1867, and was minister to Spain, 1869-1873. He was sheriff of New York County, in 1890, and Democratic member of Congress, 1892-94, as well as president of the New

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: