York State Board of Civil Service Commissioners for several years.
Baltimore, January 13, 1815, and served in the Seminole and Mexican wars. In September, 1861, he was appointed brigadier-general of volunteers and major-general of volunteers the following year. He had a brigade in Sumner's Division, a division in the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, and for a short time a command in the Eighth Corps, that joined the Third Corps after the battle of Gettysburg. He was in command of the Third Corps, from July 7, 1863, to January 28, 1864, and again from February 17th to March 24, 1864. In May, 1864, he was mustered out of the volunteer service, and was brevetted major-general the following year. In the regular army he rose to the rank of colonel in 1877, and, in 1880, was retired from active service. He died in Baltimore, May 20, 1881.
Fourth Army Corps (Potomac)Created March 3, 1862, chiefly from troops in Couch's, W. F. Smith's, and Casey's divisions of the earlier Army of the Potomac, together with some new organizations. It was commanded by Major-General E. D. Keyes. The corps fought through the Peninsula campaign and remained in that region when the rest of the Army of the Potomac withdrew. The troops were gradually sent to other corps of the army—to North Carolina, Washington, and other places, and the corps was discontinued on August 1, 1863.
Brimfield, Massachusetts, May 29, 1810. He did duty on the Western frontier until the Civil War began, when he was raised to a colonelcy and made brigadier-general of volunteers in May, 1861. He commanded a brigade at Bull Run, and eventually was put in command of the Fourth Army Corps when it was created. His appointment as major-general of volunteers was dated from the battle of Williamsburg, and he received a brevet of brigadier-general in the regular army for his gallant and meritorious service at Fair Oaks. He resigned from the army in May, 1864, and went to California. He died in Nice, France, October 11, 1895.
Fourth Army Corps (Cumberland）The twentieth and twenty-first army corps were consolidated on September 28, 1863, and the new organization was designated the Fourth Army Corps—the first one of that name, in the Army of the Potomac, having passed out of existence. It was commanded by Major-Generals Gordon Granger, O. O. Howard, D. S. Stanley, and Brigadier-General T. J. Wood. The corps fought in the battle of Chattanooga, was sent to the relief of Knoxville, and took part in the Atlanta campaign. When Sherman turned back toward Atlanta from Gaylesville, Alabama, the Fourth Corps went into Tennessee for the campaign against Hood. It fought at Franklin and Nashville, and was discontinued April 1, 1865.
Cedar Valley, Ohio, June 1, 1828. He distinguished himself by his services, at the beginning of the Civil War, in the Southwest, at Dug Springs and Wilson's Creek. As brigadier-general of volunteers he had a division in the Army of the Mississippi and fought at Island No.10, Iuka, and Corinth. In November, 1862, he became chief of cavalry in the Army of the Cumberland, and soon afterward was made major-general of volunteers. In November, 1863, he received a division of the Fourth Corps and became its head in July, 1864, when Major-General Howard took command of the Army of the Tennessee. Major-General Stanley was wounded at Franklin, November 30, 1864, and this ended his active service in the war, although he again headed the corps from February to August, 1865. Later on, he was given a colonelcy in the regular army and fought against the Indians in the