previous next


[200]

Major-General Gouverneur Kemble Warren

(U. S.M. A. 1850) was born at Cold Spring, New York, January 8, 1830. He made a specialty of topographical engineering, and was assistant professor of mathematics at West Point until the beginning of the Civil War, when he came into active service as lieutenant-colonel of the Fifth New York Volunteers. His promotion was rapid, and he reached the rank of major-general of volunteers in May, 1863. He served as brigade and division commander in the Fifth Army Corps, and in January, 1863, became chief topographical engineer, and, later, chief engineer of the Army of the Potomac. His service to the Union cause in defending Little Round Top at Gettysburg won him a brevet of colonel in the regular army. For a short time after Gettysburg he was in command of the Second Corps, and from March, 1864, to April, 1865, of the Fifth Corps, Army of the Potomac; after which he served for a short time in the Department of Mississippi. He left the volunteer service in May, 1865, having received the brevet of major-general in the regular army, in which he remained until February 13, 1866, when he resigned. His last years were spent on surveys and harbor improvements, and he died at Newport, Rhode Island, August 8, 1882.


Major-General George Sykes

(U. S.M. A. 1842) was born in Dover, Delaware, October 9, 1822, and served in the Mexican and Seminole wars. As major, he entered the Civil War, and was commissioned brigadier-general of volunteers in September, 1861. He led a division of the Fifth Army Corps and was commander for several short periods, notably at the battle of Gettysburg. His commission of major-general of volunteers was dated November 29, 1862. In SeptemberOctober, 1864, he was in command of the District of South Kansas. After leaving the volunteer service he was made colonel in the regular army, where he remained until he died in Brownsville, Texas, February 9, 1880.


Major-General Charles Griffin

(U. S.M. A. 1847) was born in Licking County, Ohio, in 1826, and served in the Mexican War and on the frontier. He was captain when the Civil War broke out, at the head of the Fifth Artillery. His battery fought with great bravery at Bull Run. As brigadier-general of volunteers, he had a brigade and then a division in the Fifth Army Corps, and took part in most of its important battles. He was given command of the corps on April 1, 1865, from which dated his appointment as major-general of volunteers. He led his corps in the final operations against Petersburg, and at Lee's surrender he received the arms and colors of the Army of Northern Virginia. He was one of the commission to carry out the terms of the surrender. After the close of the war, as colonel in the regular army, he was in command of the Department of Texas, where, during an outbreak of yellow fever, he refused to leave his post. Contracting the disease, he died in Galveston, September 15, 1867.


Sixth Army Corps

The creation of this corps was similar to that of the Fifth, on May 18, 1862. Its basis was Brigadier-General W. B. Franklin's division, which was transferred from the Department of the Rappahannock (McDowell's command) and Brigadier-General W. F. Smith's division of the Fourth Army Corps. Franklin was the first commander, and he was followed by Major-Generals W. F. Smith, John Sedgwick, Brigadier-General J. B. Ricketts, Major-General H. G. Wright, and Brevet Major-General G. W. Getty. One division of the corps was prominent at Gaines' Mill, where there were about twenty thousand men present for duty, and it was partially engaged at Second Bull Run, South Mountain, Antietam, and Fredericksburg.

In the last battle it was in the Left Grand Division. The corps carried Marye's Heights in the Chancellorsville campaign, but, excepting one brigade, it was held in reserve at Gettysburg. Several changes were made in the reorganization of March, 1864, and with about twenty-five thousand men at the opening of the Wilderness campaign, it fought with the Army of the Potomac as far as Petersburg, when it was sent to the defense of Washington. Afterward it joined the Army of the Shenandoah and was prominent at the Opequon, Fisher's Hill, and Cedar Creek. In December, 1864, the corps returned to Petersburg and continued with the Army of the Potomac until it was discontinued, June 28, 1865.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: