previous next

[234] Its last regiments were mustered out on January 8, 1866. In February, 1865, it numbered about fourteen thousand troops.


Major-General Godfrey Weitzel

(U. S.M. A. 1855) was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, November 1, 1835, and entered the Engineer Corps. At the opening of the Civil War, as first lieutenant, he served at the defense of Fort Pickens and was chief engineer of Butler's expedition to New Orleans, the capture of which city he planned and the acting mayor of which he became. As brigadier-general of volunteers, he had a brigade in the Department of the Gulf, and a brigade and division in the Nineteenth Army Corps at the siege of Port Hudson, where he commanded the right wing of Major-General Banks' forces. In May, 1864, he was given a division in the Eighteenth Army Corps, and later was chief engineer of the Army of the James, and constructed the fortifications at Bermuda Hundred and Deep Bottom. He was in command of the Eighteenth Army Corps from October to December, 1864, having been made major-general of volunteers. On the formation of the Twenty-fifth Army Corps (December, 1864) he was placed at its head and remained so, except for one short interval, until it was discontinued in January, 1866. He occupied Richmond, in April, 1865. After commanding a district in Texas, he was mustered out of the service, and returned to engineering work in the army. He became lieutenant-colonel of engineers in 1882. He had been brevetted major-general in the regular army in 1865. He died in Philadelphia, March 19, 1884.


First Corps—Army of the Ohio

The Army of the Ohio was organized into three corps on September 29, 1862. The First was commanded by Major-General A. McDowell McCook. It bore the chief part in the battle of Perryville, Kentucky (October 8, 1862), and the campaign against Bragg in Kentucky. On October 24th, it was merged in the Fourteenth Corps, known as the Army of the Cumberland.


Second Corps—Army of the Ohio

This corps fought at Bardstown in the campaign against Bragg. It was headed by Major-General T. L. Crittenden. It constituted the right wing of the army, and was accompanied by Major-General George H. Thomas, who was second in command in the Army of the Ohio. Like the First Corps it had a brief existence, and it was merged in the Fourteenth Corps, October 24, 1862.


Third Corps—Army of the Ohio

This corps was commanded by Major-General C. C. Gilbert. It took part in the Kentucky campaign, but was only slightly engaged in Perryville. Its three divisions were commanded by Brigadier-Generals Schoepff, Mitchell, and Sheridan and Colonel Kennett. It was merged in the Fourteenth Corps, October 24, 1862.


Cavalry Corps—Military division of the Mississippi

The First Cavalry Corps in the West was organized in October, 1864, with Brevet Major-General J. H. Wilson at its head. There were seven divisions, of which four took part in the battle of Nashville, December 15th and 16th. Wilson entered Alabama in March, 1865, and the corps fought its last engagement with Forrest at Columbus, Georgia, on April 16th. One division of this corps, under Brigadier-General Judson Kilpatrick, consisting of four brigades, accompanied Sherman's army through Georgia and the Carolinas, and was present at Bentonville and Johnston's surrender.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: