previous next

[169] men, and he succeeded in checking the charge. General Chambliss dismounted his men and took up aline near the church, when in a few moments he was heavily attacked. I brought up a part of the Seventh Virginia to reinforce him, and the attack was repulsed along the whole line. Young's brigade, under Colonel Wright, was then dismounted and put into position — the enemy in the meantime using his artillery and small arms rapidly. Soon after my line was established, Lieutenant-Colonel Crawley, commanding the Holcombe legion (infantry), brought 200 men of his command to join me, and he was placed in the centre of the line. With these troops the line, which was not a strong one, was held steadily all night, the enemy constantly making demonstrations and attacks upon it, but without the least impression. The fire of their artillery becoming very hot, I directed Major Chew to place two guns — all I had — under Captain Graham, where they could respond. These guns were well served and rendered me great assistance. The position of the enemy — who had two lines of works — was so strong that I could not attack it in front, so at day-light I threw portions of Butler's and Rosser's brigades on the left flank of the enemy. At the same moment Chaimbliss advanced the whole of the front line, and in a few moments we were in possession of both lines of works, and the enemy were in full retreat, leaving their dead and wounded on the ground. They were followed closely for two miles, when, finding they had taken the route to Reams' station, I moved by Stony Creek depot, in order to get on the Halifax road to intercept them, should they attempt to cross below Reams'. Butler's brigade was sent to Malone's crossing, two miles south of Reams' station, and the other brigades were ordered to occupy the roads leading into the Halifax road. I moved up with Chambliss' brigade, following Butler, and soon after crossing Rowanty creek we met an advance of the enemy who had struck the Halifax road between Butler and Chambliss. These were charged and scattered, when another party were reported coming into the same road at Perkins' house. I took a portion of the Thirteenth Virginia, and meeting them, drove them back, and Lieutenant-Colonel Phillips pushed on, getting possession of the bridge over the Rowanty. Finding that a portion of the force which had crossed the creek had taken a road leading east, I sent Colonel Beale with two or three squadrons in pursuit. He followed them for four miles, capturing a large number and scattering the rest. The force of the enemy was entirely broken and the fragments

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
W. B. Butler (4)
Chambliss (3)
John D. Young (1)
Marcus J. Wright (1)
Rosser (1)
Phillips (1)
Graham (1)
Crawley (1)
R. P. Chew (1)
Beale (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: