answer to those from General Thomas
of 8 P. M. and 10:30 P. M., November 28, as indicated by my orders to Stanley
, and my despatch of 8:15 A. M. to Wilson
Soon after 10 A. M., November 29, the first report from the brigade sent toward Huey's Mill showed that the enemy's infantry was crossing the river at that place.
That report is not found in the records, and I do not recollect its words.
But it did not produce the impression upon my mind that Hood
's movement was so rapid or energetic as to prevent me from doing what seemed of such vital importance.
Therefore I decided not to yield my position unless compelled by force to do so. While considering this question I had detained one of Stanley
's two divisions (Kimball
's), and had suspended the orders for Ruger
's division to march to Spring Hill
When the decision was reached, I put Kimball
's and Wood
's divisions in position between Duck River
and Rutherford's Creek
, and Ruger
's north of that creek, to resist any attempt the enemy might make upon our position.
I then sent the following to Stanley
at Spring Hill
The situation early in the morning had been a very simple one, free from any embarrassment or unusual