An educational institution for women exclusively, in Cambridge, Mass.
; established in 1878 by a society for the collegiate instruction of women, and made a part of Harvard University in the following year.
In 1893-94 it was established as a separate institution, although in affiliation with Harvard University, and given its present name in honor of Annie Radcliffe
, the first woman who made a donation of money for the founding of Harvard University.
At the close of 1900 it reported: Professors and instructors, 114; students, 407; volumes in the library, 13,000; productive funds, $400,000; benefactions, $122,108; income,
$96,170; number of graduates, 395; president, Mrs. Louis Agassiz