previous next

[120] violation of the usages of war was responded to on the part of General Hagood by an abrupt termination of the interview.

During the day the enemy's gunboats and land batteries shelled Battery Wagner. The enemy had apparently mounted eight new guns in their batteries.

Colonel Rhett reported that from the want of proper appliances he had been unable to dismount the guns in Fort Sumter which I had ordered to be removed.

The bombardment continued throughout the 22d from fleet and land batteries, with an interval, when General Vogdes, U. S. A., requested, under a flag of truce, another interview with Brigadier-General Hagood. This was refused until an apology should be made for the breach of truce the day before. This having been given and deemed satisfactory, General Vogdes verbally proposed an exchange of prisoners, mentioning that they had but few of ours, all except those recently captured having been sent North; that as we had the excess, of course we could select whom to exchange. He abstained from any reference to negroes, while intimating that a mutual parole of prisoners without regard to excess would be agreeable.

The following instructions were given to Brigadier-General Ripley:

Not to open fire from the new James Island batteries until their completion; then to carry on a vigorous fire with guns and mortars on the enemy's works. Sorties to be made at night whenever practicable.

In my telegraph to you [General Cooper] of this date I mentioned the continual reinforcement of the enemy, that I had to guard three important lines of approach—James, Morris, and Sullivan's islands—and requested the balance of General Colquitt's brigade, with more troops, as soon as possible.

No gun was fired on either side during the 23d. Our men were engaged in repairing damages. The enemy was busy erecting batteries and throwing up traverses, to protect them from the fire of the James Island batteries.

On the morning of the 24th a heavy bombardment was opened upon Battery Wagner from five monitors, two gunboats, two mortar-vessels, the Ironsides, and land batteries, which continued until 9.30 A. M., when the steamer with the prisoners on board proceeded to the fleet, and the exchange was effected, as previously agreed on.

Colonel Harris, Chief-Engineer, having inspected Battery Wagner, reported no material damage to the work. The guns on the sea face unserviceable, on the land front in good order. The enemy's stockade within seven hundred (700) yards of the fort.

1 Brigadier-General Taliaferro, who had relieved Brigadier-General Hagood in the command of Battery Wagner, on the night of the 22d came to the city to confer personally with me regarding the condition of the garrison of Battery Wagner, the officers having reported their men as considerably dispirited. After a conference with him I communicated my views as follows:

The position must be held if possible until the guns en route from Richmond shall be received and placed in position.

No idea of evacuation must be entertained, if there is a chance at night to repair the damages of the day.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Johnson Hagood (3)
Vogdes (2)
W. B. Taliaferro (1)
R. S. Ripley (1)
Alfred Rhett (1)
North (1)
D. B. Harris (1)
Samuel Cooper (1)
A. H. Colquitt (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: