island to the south Lamar
landed his last cargo of slaves from the ‘Wanderer.’
's had been fortified early in the Civil War
; but in February, 1862, the armament was removed, and then the few remaining inhabitants went away.
While the Fifty-fourth were enjoying the delights of St. Simon
's, Brig.-Gen. Quincy A. Gillmore
had relieved General Hunter
. Admiral John A. Dahlgren
was to replace Admiral Dupont
Tidings of these changes, of Lee
having crossed the Rappahannock
, the capture of Harper's Ferry
, and the investment of Port Hudson
, were received by the ‘Harriet A. Weed
,’ on June 23.
Orders also came for the Fifty-fourth to report at Hilton Head
During the afternoon and evening of June 24, the regiment was taken in detachments on the ‘Mayflower’ to the ocean steamer, Ben Deford,
lying off Montgomery
's camp, whence it sailed early the next day for Hilton Head
's regiment was also ordered away.
About noon, Colonel Shaw
reported his arrival and was ordered to St. Helena Island
, across the harbor.
A new object of interest was the Confederate ironclad Atlanta,
captured June 17 by the monitor Weehawken.
Rain was falling as the Fifty-fourth landed on the wharf.
Marching for a mile or so, we camped in an old cotton-field near the water.
Many regiments were on the island preparing for active operations.
The post was commanded by Brig.-Gen. George C. Strong
, a brilliant young officer who had recently arrived.
The Fifty-fourth, with the Second South Carolina camped near by, constituted the ‘Colored Brigade,’ under Colonel Montgomery