previous next

[592] Barracks. We visited the regiment soon afterwards, and found it in good condition; both officers and men were glad to see us. The regiment was to leave New York at three o'clock; and I had the honor of marching with Colonel Follansbee and his command up Broadway as far as Barclay Street, where the regiment filed to the left, to go on board the steamer for Boston: the regiment, as it passed, paid me the honor of a marching salute. The old Sixth attracted much attention as it marched up Broadway. At the request of Colonel Follansbee, I telegraphed to Major Brown to arrange with Major Clarke, U. S. A., military commander, to have the regiment furloughed upon its arrival in Boston, until such time as its rolls could be completed for mustering out: this arrangement was made. The Sixth had been on guard duty for nearly three months at Fort Delaware, in which a large number of rebel prisoners were confined.

On the morning of Friday, Oct. 21, I left New York for Washington. I stopped at Baltimore, expecting to see our Fifth and Eighth Regiments, which I knew were stationed there. I found that the regiments were scattered by companies in different parts of the city, and in forts in the vicinity of Baltimore, and that it would take at least a day to visit them. As they were soon to leave for home, I concluded not to delay, and therefore pushed on that night for Washington, where I arrived about ten o'clock, and put up at the National Hotel. During the two hours that I remained in Baltimore, I called at the headquarters of the provost-marshal, where one of the companies of the Eighth was on duty. I learned from officers and residents of Baltimore, that our two regiments maintained a high rank as soldiers and citizens.

On Saturday morning, Oct. 22, I called upon Colonel Gardiner Tufts, Massachusetts military State agent, and arranged with him about visiting our troops on duty in the fortifications around Washington; and at twelve o'clock, noon, we started in a carriage to visit those stationed in the forts on the Virginia side of the Potomac. We passed out through Georgetown, and, after a ride of six miles, came to what is known as the Chain Bridge, where we found the Fourteenth Company of Heavy Artillery on duty guarding the bridge: the company was under command of Lieutenant Wilson, who has acted in that capacity ever since it was formed. Captain Cook has never reported for duty, ill-health having detained him at home. Lieutenant Wilson informed me that he had been placed in charge of the bridge only a day or two before; he had replaced with his command a company from an adjoining State, which had acted so badly that it had been sent to a fort. After a short stop with the officers and company, we passed over the bridge, and entered Virginia. A line of fortifications for the defence

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Henry Wilson (2)
Albert S. Follansbee (2)
Gardiner Tufts (1)
Moody D. Cook (1)
James Freeman Clarke (1)
William Brown (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
October 22nd (1)
October 21st (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: