committee in Boston
, that a word flashed over the telegraph wires one day brought sure response the next, in boxes, barrels, and bundles of the needed article, or money wherewith to purchase it.
Such is an outline of our women's work for the soldiers during the war, under the organization of the New-England
Women's Auxiliary Association.
It is proper, also, that the services of the New-England
Soldiers' Relief Association, the headquarters of which were in New-York City, and whose active and energetic leader was Colonel Frank E. Howe
, should receive a passing notice at our hands.
This association was organized April 9, 1862, by sons of New England
resident in the city of New York
, with the purpose of making arrangements to provide for proper attention to the sick and wounded soldiers as they should from time to time pass through New York on their return from the seat of war to their homes.
The first meeting was held at the Fifth-avenue Hotel, March 31, 1862. Mr. William M. Evarts
was chosen chairman, and subsequently president of the association, and Mr. William Bond
and Dr. Maurice Perkins
were chosen secretaries, and S. E. Low
A committee of three from each New-England
State was appointed to provide the necessary means to carry out this work; to communicate with the President
, the Secretary of War
, and other members of the national Government, for the purpose of interchanging views in relation to the relief of sick and wounded soldiers arriving in the city, and co-operating together, that greater efficiency might be obtained in effecting the purposes of the association, and to select a suitable location for its uses.
The proprietors of the Astor House
tendered to this association the gratuitous use of a room or rooms in their hotel for its meetings at any time they might desire to make such use of them.
The State of New York
threw open the Park Barracks
as a temporary receiving hospital, and the southern portion of it was at once fitted up for that purpose.