It was recruited by Colonel Thomas G. Stevenson
, at ‘Camp Massasoit,’ Readville, and left the State
on the 9th of December, 1861, and formed part of General Burnside
The Twenty-fourth was one of the best regiments ever recruited in Massachusetts
. Colonel Stevenson
, its first commander, was a gentleman of intelligence, high character, and sterling worth.
For his bravery and efficiency, he was appointed by the President
, Dec. 27, 1862, brigadier-general
of volunteers, and was killed in the Battle of Spottsylvania
, May 10, 1864.
, Francis A. Osborne
, also rose to the rank of brigadier-general, and served with distinction during the war. Major Robert H. Stevenson
, after the promotion of his superiors, was commissioned lieutenant-colonel, and served in that capacity until after the death of his brother, General Stevenson
, when from wounds received he resigned his command, and returned home.
The Twenty-fifth Regiment was raised in Worcester County
, and was organized at ‘Camp Lincoln
,’ near the city of Worcester
It left the State
, on the 31st day of October, 1861, and formed a part of General Burnside
The field officers were Edward Upton
, of Fitchburg
, colonel; Augustus B. R. Sprague
, of Worcester
; and Matthew J. McCafferty
, of Worcester
, as major.
These gentlemen had held commissions in the volunteer militia, and were possessed of considerable military knowledge.
commanded a company in the Rifle Battalion in the three months service, and, before the close of the war, was commissioned lieutenant-colonel in the Third Regiment Heavy Artillery.
The Twenty-sixth Regiment was recruited at ‘Camp Chase,’ Lowell
, and was attached to Major-General Butler
's division, designed to attack New Orleans.
Many of the officers and men of this regiment belonged to the Sixth Regiment in the three months service, which was attacked in Baltimore
, on the 19th of April, 1861.
The Twenty-sixth left Boston
in the transport steamer Constitution,
on the 21st day of November, 1861, for Ship Island, Mississippi
This was the first loyal volunteer regiment that reached the Department of the Gulf.
Its field officers