previous next
[336] sent forward to the Army of the Potomac, May 26; two companies for the Fourteenth Regiment, shortly afterwards changed to the First Massachusetts Heavy Artillery, which were sent to join the regiment in Virginia, March 1, 1862.

One company, designated the First Unattached Company of Heavy Artillery, was enlisted for three years, for service in the forts in Boston Harbor, of which Stephen Cabot was commissioned captain. On the twenty-sixth day of May, the First Company of Cadets, Lieutenant-Colonel C. C. Holmes, was mustered into the service to take the place of the Fort Warren Battalion, which was ordered to the front on that day. The Cadets remained on duty until July 1. The Second Company of Cadets, of Salem, commanded by Captain John L. Marks, was mustered in May 26, for garrison duty in the forts at Boston Harbor, and was mustered out Oct. 11. The company raised by Captain E. H. Staten, of Salem, was also mustered in for garrison duty, and remained on duty until Jan. 1, 1863.

In addition to these new organizations, which were mustered into the service in the first six months of 1862, upwards of three thousand volunteers were recruited, and sent forward to fill the ranks of the Massachusetts regiments in the field. It was the policy of Governor Andrew to keep the regiments in the service full, rather than to organize new regiments while the old regiments were wanting men. In pursuance of this policy, seven thousand men were enlisted during the year 1862, assigned to regiments in the field, and forwarded to their several destinations.

On the 28th day of May, an order was received from the President of the United States for thirty companies of infantry, twenty of which were to compose two regiments,—the Thirty-third and Thirty-fourth,—six for a battalion to garrison Fort Warren, and four to complete the organization of the Thirty-second Regiment. The Thirty-third regiment was recruited at Lynnfield, and left the State to join the Army of the Potomac, Aug. 14, 1862. The Thirty-fourth Regiment was recruited at ‘Camp John E. Wool,’ on the Agricultural Fair Grounds in Worcester. It left the State for Washington, Aug. 15, 1862. The other ten companies were recruited in a few weeks, and assigned to duty.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
E. Wool (1)
Edward H. Staten (1)
John L. Marks (1)
C. C. Holmes (1)
Stephen Cabot (1)
John A. Andrew (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: