in 1865 it was 220,618, being an increase in five years of 4,266.
The population in 1870 was 274,353, being an increase in five years of 53,735.
The valuation of the county in 1860 was $135,458,009; in 1865 it was $155,324,723, being an increase in five years of $19,866,714.
The number of men which Middlesex County
furnished for the war, according to returns made by the selectmen of the towns and mayors of the cities in 1866—with the exception of Concord
and West Cambridge
, which do not appear to have made a return—was 28,646.
furnished 524 men, which would make the aggregate, as reported, 29,170, which we believe to be at least three thousand more than was furnished; and therefore the returns were in many cases inaccurate.
This fact, however, is certain: that every city and town in the county furnished its quota on every call made by the President
, and at the end of the war each had a surplus, which in the aggregate amounted to one thousand six hundred and seven.
The amount of money expended by the various municipalities on account of the war, exclusive of State aid, was $2,400,860.40. The amount raised and expended during the war for State aid to soldiers' families, and repaid by the Commonwealth
, was $1,560,825.63, making a grand total of three million nine hundred and sixty-one thousand six hundred and eighty-six dollars and three cents ($3,961,686.03).
The following are the war records of the cities and towns:—
Incorporated July 3, 1735.
Population in 1860, 1,726; in 1865, 1,660.
Valuation in 1860, $821,401; in 1865, $854,719.
The selectmen in 1861 and during the war were James E. Billings
, James K. Putney
, J. K. W. Wetherbee
Town-clerk during the same years, William D. Tuttle
The town-treasurer in 1861 was Winthrop F. Conant
; in 1862, 1863, 1864, and 1865, John E. Cutter
1861. A legal town-meeting was held, April 27, ‘to see if the town would appropriate a sum of money for the assistance of the needy families of the Acton “Davis Guards,” 1
now in the ’