This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 In addition to which they had received from voluntary subscriptions, to wit: J. F. Taylor one hundred dollars, H. W. Baxter one hundred dollars; and from Thomas Sinclair, N. & S. Jackson, John W. Hollis, Life Baldwin, and Henry Claflin fifty dollars each, for recruiting purposes. The committee was voted the thanks of the town for their services. November 26th, It was voted to appropriate seven thousand two hundred dollars ‘to be used by the selectmen’ to furnish the quota of Brighton under the new call of the President. 1863. November 20th, It was voted to open a recruiting office, and a large committee was appointed to obtain the men. It was also voted to employ a band of music, and a committee was appointed to collect funds; also that the treasurer be authorized to borrow money to meet the expenditure. Several other meetings were held, but all for the same purpose, to obtain recruits and pay bounties, which were continued from time to time until the close of the war. 1865. At a town-meeting held April 24th, a report was made by Charles Heard on the subject of erecting a monument in honor of the soldiers of Brighton who had fallen in the war, the cost of which was to be raised by voluntary subscription from ‘each adult male and female, and from each of the school children in town;’ which report was accepted and a committee appointed to carry into effect the recommendations therein made. This monument has since been erected, and at a town-meeting held December 8th, twelve hundred dollars ‘were appropriated for enclosing the soldiers' monument.’ Brighton furnished three hundred and sixty-five men for the war, which was a surplus of five over and above all demands. Fifteen were commissioned officers. The whole amount of money appropriated and expended by the town on account of the war, exclusive of State aid, was seventy-eight thousand and fifty dollars ($78,050.00). The amount of money raised and expended by the town during the war for State aid to soldiers' families, and which was repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $191.36; in 1862, $1,093.32; in 1863, $1,996.96; in 1864, $4,606.40; in 1865, $3,935.06. Total amount $11.823.10.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.