This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 The other East Cambridge organization was called the ‘Soldiers' Relief Association,’ and numbered three hundred and sixty members who were attached to different religious societies. This society was organized in 1862, and was joined by the members of the other society which was then disbanded. The officers were Mrs. J. R. Knight, president, Miss H. E. Reed, recording-secretary, Miss Mary Parmenter, correspondingsecretary, Miss H. Davis, treasurer. They raised in money two thousand nine hundred and eighty-nine dollars and sixty-four cents, and forwarded to the front twenty-seven boxes of clothing and other useful articles. ‘The Cambridgeport Soldiers' Aid Association’ was organized by a union of the ladies of the different religious societies in that part of the city in 1864. The officers were Mrs. J. M. S. Williams, president, Mrs. H. O. Houghton, corresponding-secretary, Mrs. W. W. Wellington, recording-secretary, Mrs. J. M. Cutter, treasurer. The Association numbered three hundred members. The amount of money which it raised was two thousand seven hundred and thirty-five dollars and thirty-five cents. Number of garments made, three thousand three hundred, which were forwarded in seventeen boxes. Previous to the organization of this union society, the ladies of the various religious societies in Cambridgeport had raised in money five thousand one hundred and eighty-five dollars and seventy-one cents, and had sent forward sixty-five boxes of articles. The Old Cambridge Sanitary Society was started in October, 1861, two months before the formation of the Boston Branch of the United-States Sanitary Commission, by two young ladies, Miss Marianne G. Washburn and Miss Catherine A. Eliot. For three years and two months they took charge of all the society work, assisted by various ladies in the cutting and making of garments, and the packing of the articles made and received as donations; Miss Washburn acting as treasurer, and Miss Eliot as secretary. In January, 1865, the Society was reorganized, its labors having become too onerous to be longer carried on without more subdivision of labor and responsibility; and Mrs. Jane L. Gray appointed president, Mrs. Mary H. Cooke, treasurer, and Miss Catherine A. Eliot, secretary.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.