This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 They continued the work of the Society till July, 1865, when the return of peace ended their labors. The officers were,— executive committee, Mrs. H. W. Paine, Miss Catherine B. Foster; purchasing committee, Mrs. A. K. P. Welch, Miss Abby Francis; and a finance committee of nineteen ladies. The amount of money raised was twelve thousand four hundred and sixty-eight dollars and twenty-five cents ($12,468.25), and the estimate of work done was seventeen thousand two hundred and forty-eight (17,248) articles made. Articles forwarded (made by the Society, and received as donations), twenty-one thousand eight hundred and ninety-two (21,892). The first three boxes, packed between October, 1861, and January, 1862, were sent to St. Louis. After the formation of the Boston Branch of the United-States Sanitary Commission in January, 1862, all the articles (with the exception of one box to St. Louis) were forwarded to the Boston Branch in boxes, barrels, and bundles, as was most convenient for the express.
George F. Duren, Joel Boynton, Selar Simons; in 1862, George F. Duren, Joel Boynton, Isaac Blaisdell; in 1863, John Q. A. Greene, L. Wilkins, James M. Currier; in 1864, George F. Duren, John Jacobs, Seba D. Bartlett; in 1865, George Duren, Seba D. Bartlett, Joel Boynton. The town-clerk during all these years was George F. Duren. The town-treasurer in 1861 and 1862 was Thomas Greene; in 1863, 1864, and 1865, William Greene. 1861. The first action taken by the town, in its corporate capacity, in matters relating to the war, was on the 11th of May, when it voted to pay each volunteer nine dollars a month in addition to his Government pay, the number not to exceed ten, and the payment to continue for one year. Selar Simons, Benjamin F. Heald, and Artemas Parker ‘were authorized to draw on the town-treasurer for such sums as may be requisite to carry the above vote into effect.’
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.