This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 1863. November 3d, The selectmen were authorized to open a recruiting office, and to pay a bounty of two hundred dollars to each volunteer who shall enlist for three years and be credited to the quota of the town. They were also requested to call public meetings to encourage recruiting, and to petition his Excellency the Governor to call an extra session of the Legislature to pass a law legalizing the payment of bounties to volunteers, under the last call of the President. A committee was appointed to raise by subscription ‘a guarantee fund to secure the payment of bounties in case it cannot be legally paid by the town.’ 1864. March 7th, The selectmen were requested ‘to consider and report some place to perpetuate the memory of those who have fallen or may hereafter fall in defence of our Union;’ also, ‘to pay whatever in their judgment is necessary for the support of families of volunteers, without regard to what the State may allow.’ Medford furnished five hundred and fifty-seven men for the war, which was a surplus of sixty-one men over and above all demands. Twenty-one were commissioned officers. The whole amount of money appropriated and expended by the town on account of the war, exclusive of State aid, was fifty-six thousand and ninety-nine dollars and eighty cents ($56,099.80). The amount of money raised and expended by the town for the payment of State aid to soldiers' families during the war, and repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $1,076.46; in 1862, $7,655.17; in 1863, $12,412.37; in 1864, $10,000.00; in 1865, $6,400.00. Total amount, $37,544.50.
John H. Clark, George M. Fletcher, William B. Burgess; in 1864, John H. Clark, William E. Fuller, William B. Burgess; in 1865, Wingate P. Sargent, George M. Fletcher, Isaac Emerson, Jr. The town-clerk during the years 1861, 1862, 1863, and 1864
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.