This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 war, which was a surplus of twenty-two over and above all demands. Four were commissioned officers. The whole amount of money appropriated and expended by the town on account of the war, exclusive of State aid, was fifteen thousand nine hundred and ninety one dollars and seventy cents ($15,991.70). The amount of money raised and expended by the town during the war for State aid to soldiers' families, and repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $550.35; in 1862, $1,624.70; in 1863, $1,925.00; in 1864, $2,460.30; in 1865, $1,983.09. Total amount, $8,643.47. As an example of the patriotic spirit of the ladies during the war, we relate the following incident: At one time they appointed a committee of their own sex to solicit subscriptions for a ‘Fair’ to raise a fund for the soldiers. They called upon a miller, about a mile from the town hall, who told the committee he would give them a bag of meal if they would wheel it in a wheelbarrow to the hall. They acceded to the terms, and wheeled the meal to the hall, where it was sold and brought a good price. A wheelwright gave them the wheelbarrow, which was afterwards put up at auction, and brought more than fifty dollars. It was sold several times, each purchaser after paying what he had bid would cry out, ‘put it up again.’ The fair netted over eight hundred dollars.
James Moore, John H. Dakin, George Parmenter; in 1863, A. B. Jones, George Goodnow, H. H. Goodnough; in 1864 and 1865, Thomas P. Hurlbut, Charles Hunt, Walter Rogers. The town-clerk during all the years of the war was J. S. Hunt. The town-treasurer during the years 1861, 1862, and 1863 was Edwin Harrington; in 1864 and 1865, S. A. Jones. 1861. The first legal town-meeting to act upon matters relating to the war was held on the 29th of April, and it being
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.