This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 1861. The first town-meeting to act upon matters relating to the war was held on the 26th of April, at which it was voted to appropriate fifteen hundred dollars in aid of the families of those who had gone to the war.1 J. H. D. Blake, Jason G. Howard, Caleb Hollis, and Elisha Thayer were chosen to act with the selectmen in the distribution of the money. A committee of five was also appointed to collect money “to cancel the debt of the Braintree Light-Infantry incurred in the purchase of a new uniform. Caleb Stetson, Alva Morrison, N. H. Hunt, A. Mason, and Asa French were appointed said committee.” August 19th, The selectmen were authorized to borrow one thousand dollars to be expended for State aid to soldiers' families as provided by law. 1862. July 14th, Voted, to pay one hundred dollars to each resident of the town who shall within thirty days enlist for three years military service and be credited to the quota of Braintree. Four thousand seven hundred dollars were appropriated to pay the same. August 18th, Voted, to pay each resident who shall volunteer for nine months military service to fill the quota of the town a bounty of one hundred and twenty-five dollars. Seven thousand five hundred dollars were appropriated to pay the same. 1863. September—, Voted to pay all conscripted men, residents of Braintree, ‘who have been accepted and gone into the service of the United States, either by themselves or substitutes, or paid their commutation-money, the sum of three hundred dollars.’ 1864. June 1st, The selectmen were authorized “to draw their order upon the treasurer for eight hundred and seventy-five dollars, to be paid pro rata to those who subscribed money to furnish seven men to fill the quota of the town under the last call of the President. They were also authorized to pay a bounty of one hundred and twenty-five dollars to each person who should ”
1 Company C, Fourth Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Militia, was the Braintree Light-Infantry, Captain C. C. Bampas, which left with the regiment for the seat of war April 17th, and arrived at Fortress Monroe, Virginia, April 20th, 1861. It was the first loyal regiment that reached Virginia in the war.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.