This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 to the Sanitary Commission, The Union-Aid Society at St. Louis, to hospitals at Alexandria, &c. The total number of articles forwarded during the war, as can now be ascertained, is 7,967. This does not include bandages, rolls of cotton, linen, and flannel, some of which accompanied nearly every contribution; nor wine, jellies, and other delicacies so necessary in a hospital, of which every box contained more or less. A similar society existed in South Dedham, of whose labors we regret we have been unable to obtain a statement. A soldiers' ‘Memorial Hall’ has been erected by the town of Dedham, which was appropriately dedicated Sept. 29, 1868. A splendid copy of Stuart's painting of Washington, in Faneuil Hall, by Alvan Fisher, Esq., of Dedham, was given by his widow, Mrs Lydia E. Fisher, ‘to hang in its appropriate place in the Memorial Hall.’
Boston, June 4, 1869. Population in 1860, 9,769; in 1865, 10,729. Valuation in 1860, $10,880,383; in 1865, $12,521,038. The selectmen in 1861, 1862, and 1863 were Ebenezer Eaton, Edward H. R. Ruggles, Lewis F. Pierce; in 1864 and 1865, James H. Upham, William Pope, William Henry Swan. The town-clerk in 1861, 1862, and 1863 was Eben Tolman; in 1864 and 1865, Thomas F. Temple. The town-treasurer in 1861, 1862, and 1863 was Oliver Hall; in 1864, John P. Clapp; in 1865, Thomas F. Temple. 1861. The first meeting in relation to the war was held on the 20th of April; it was a citizens', ‘held in pursuance of the call posted throughout the town.’1 The meeting was very large and very excited. After organizing, Hon. Nathaniel F. Safford presented a series of resolutions which were unanimously adopted. The substance of which was as follows:— ‘That the present crisis called upon all good citizens to rally as ’
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.