This ancient and historic county is bounded north-east and east by Massachusetts Bay
, north by Norfolk county
and Boston harbor
, north-west by Norfolk county
, west by Bristol county
, and south-east and south by Buzzard's Bay
and Barnstable county
. ‘The North River
, emptying into Massachusetts Bay
, and numerous branches of the Taunton
are its chief rivers.’
The shire town of the county, at which the courts are held, is Plymouth
The county has a sea coast on Massachusetts Bay
of between thirty and forty miles. The land is not so fertile as in some of the other counties in the Commonwealth
, yet there is considerable good land within its limits.
The population of Plymouth county
in 1860 was 64,758; in 1865, it was 63,074, being a decrease in five years of 1,684.
The valuation in 1860 was $29,160,937; in 1865 it was $27,932,058, being a decrease in five years of $1,228,879.
The county is divided into twenty-five townships, which, according to the returns made by the several selectmen in 1866, furnished seven thousand six hundred and fifty-two men for the war, which we think is above five hundred in excess of the number that was credited.
Every town in the county furnished its contingent of men upon every call made by the President
during the war, and each had a surplus at the close of the Rebellion
, which in the aggregate amounted to five hundred and twelve men (512). The total expenditure of the several towns on account of the war, exclusive of State aid to the families of enlisted men, was $627,010.67. The total amount of money raised and expended by them during the war for State aid, and repaid by the Commonwealth
, was $502,881.40; making a