This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 to pay a bounty of a hundred dollars ‘to each inhabitant of the town volunteering to fill the quota of the town.’ The same bounty was directed to be paid to those who were already in the service, and had enlisted without receiving any bounty. August 22d, Voted, to pay a bounty of one hundred dollars to volunteers for nine months service ‘to the number of one hundred men.’ The treasurer was also authorized to borrow ‘a sum not exceeding ten thousand dollars to pay said bounties.’ 1863. March 2d, The assessors were directed to abate all poll taxes ‘which may have been or may hereafter be assessed’ upon volunteers from that town while in the military service. April 6th, The selectmen were directed to pay State aid to the families of soldiers living in the town as provided by the act of the Legislature. 1864. April 26th, The selectmen were authorized to pay to each volunteer enlisting for three years a bounty of one hundred and twenty-five dollars; also, voted to reimburse ‘the money contributed by citizens to aid in filling the quota of the town.’ Other votes were passed relating to the payment of bounties and borrowing of money, and meetings were held from time to time until the end of the war. Clinton furnished four hundred and nineteen men for the war, which was a surplus of forty-eight over and above all demands. Twenty-one were commissioned officers. The total amount of money appropriated and expended by the town for war purposes, exclusive of State aid, was fourteen thousand and forty-three dollars and nineteen cents ($14,043.19). In addition to this amount nine thousand dollars were contributed by individual citizens in aid of recruiting. The amount of money raised and expended by the town for State aid to soldiers' families during the war, and repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $2,943.92; in 1862, $9,352.21; in 1863, $10,275.15; in 1864, $9,200.00; in 1865, $4,400.00. Total amount, $36,171.28. The Clinton Soldiers-Aid Society was formed in August, 1862, of which Mrs. C. G. Stevens, Mrs. J. F. Maynard, Mrs. J. M. Heard, and Mrs. C. F. Field were directors. A suitable room was procured, which was kept open every day from two
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.