This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 enlist for three years and be credited to the quota of the town a bounty of one hundred and twenty-five dollars. This was continued until the end of the war. Webster furnished three hundred and thirty-four men for the war, which was a surplus of twenty-two over and above all demands. Eight were commissioned officers. The whole amount of money appropriated and expended by the town on account of the war, exclusive of State aid, was twenty-eight thousand six hundred and seventy-four dollars and sixty-one cents ($28,674.61). This does not include what was voluntarily contributed by the citizens, which amounted to quite a large sum. The amount paid by the town during the war for State aid to soldiers' families, and afterwards repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $1,448.45; in 1862, $3,984.36; in 1863, $5,487.82; in 1864, $4,800.00; in 1865, $3,200.00. Total amount $18,920.63.
Greenleaf O. Sanborn, Benjamin B. Nourse, Silas B. Howe; in 1863, Edwin Ballard, Baxter Forbes, George H. Raymond; in 1864, Edwin Ballard, George H. Raymond, George W. Parker; in 1865, Edwin Ballard, George H. Raymond, G. O. Sanborn. The town-clerk during the years of the war was Samuel M. Briggs. The town-treasurer in 1861 was Josiah Childs; in 1862, 1863, 1864, and 1865, Daniel F. Norton. 1861. The first legal town-meeting to act upon matters in regard to the war was held on the 25th of April, when it was voted to appropriate five thousand dollars to organize and equip a military company; to pay the men for time spent in drilling; to furnish uniforms, and to add a certain sum to their monthly pay when in active service.1 July 27th, The proceedings of
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.