This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 1864. June 30th, The town voted that all citizens who had enlisted, or might afterwards enlist, ‘who had received a bounty of one hundred and fifty dollars, be paid that amount,’ and to the heirs of those who have died in the service. July 27th, Voted to pay ‘each man in town who has, or who shall, put in a substitute in anticipation of a draft, the sum of one hundred and twenty-five dollars.’ 1865. At the annual town-meeting held March 6th, it was voted to authorize the selectmen to pay to each volunteer citizen who has no family or dependant, and therefore not entitled to State aid, the sum of two dollars a week while in the service. 1866. March 5th, An appropriation of one thousand dollars was made for the erection of a soldiers' monument, to which was added $260.80, being the balance of the soldiers' fund in the hands of the selectmen. Walter Chipman, Joseph R. Hall, F. G. Kelley, Henry Goodspeed, Nathaniel Hinckley, Charles C. Bearse, and Freeman H. Jenkins were appointed to locate the monument and arrange for its erection. The monument was erected in that part of Barnstable called Centreville, and was appropriately dedicated July 4, 1866. Barnstable, according to a return made in 1866 by the selectmen, furnished two hundred and seventy-two men for the war, which is quite inaccurate; for the number of those in the military and naval service properly credited to the town must have been nearly five hundred, as it furnished its full quota upon every call of the President for men, and had a surplus of thirty-five over and above all demands, at the end of the war. Three were commissioned officers in the military service. The whole amount of money appropriated and expended by the town on account of the war, exclusive of State aid, was thirty-eight thousand five hundred and seventy-four dollars and fifteen cents ($38,574.15). The amount of money raised by the town, and expended each year of the war in the payment of State aid to the families of volunteers, and which was afterwards refunded by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $93.60; in 1862, $2,525.57; in 1863, $6,182.23; in 1864, $6,851.53;
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.