This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 Stockbridge furnished about two hundred and thirty-six men for the war, including those who belonged to other places, and those who paid commutation-money, which was a surplus of twenty-six over and above all demands. Eight were commissioned officers. The whole amount of money appropriated and expended by the town on account of the war, exclusive of State aid, was fifteen thousand and twenty-nine dollars and fifty-six cents ($15,029.56). The amount of money raised and expended by the town for State aid to soldiers' families during the four years of the war, and afterwards repaid to it by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $378.64; in 1862, $2,049.53; in 1863, $3,450.19; in 1864, $3,263.62; in 1865, $2,000.00. Total amount, $11,141.96. The ladies of Stockbridge organized a Soldiers' Aid Society, and ‘held meetings almost every week during the war to do soldiers' work, and forwarded at different times large quantities of under-clothing and other valuable articles to the army and hospitals, to the money value of several thousand dollars.’ A very handsome brown-stone monument has been erected to the memory of the men of Stockbridge who died for their country in the war of the Rebellion. The cost of the monument was twenty-six hundred dollars. It is erected near the centre of the village, to which it is an ornament, as well as an honor to the memory of those who fell.
E. G. Hale, J. M. Northup, J. G. Garfield; in 1862, E. G. Hale, J. G. Garfield, A. G. Sweet; in 1863, J. M. Garfield, G. W. Garfield, C. E. Slater; in 1864, E. G. Hale, H. Clark, Orson Webster; in 1865, E. G. Hale, Daniel Clark, John Canon. The town-clerk in 1861, 1862, 1863, and 1864, was J. W. Wilson; in 1865, Albert C. Heath. The town-treasurer in 1861 was Elijah Garfield; in 1862, Charles E. Slater; in 1863, 1864, and 1865, A. C. Heath.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.