This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 although bounties were continued to be paid, and also State aid to the families of volunteers. 1864. On the 8th of July a town-meeting was held, at which it was voted to pay a bounty of one hundred and twenty-five dollars to each volunteer for three years service, who should enlist and be credited to the town, ‘under the present call of the President, or under any future call he may make.’ On the 6th of December the selectmen were directed to procure as many volunteers ‘as they may deem necessary,’ and on the 27th the treasurer was authorized to borrow ‘whatever amount of money should be necessary to fill the contingent of the town.’ This policy appears to have been continued until the end of the war. The selectmen in 1866 report that the town furnished one hundred and two men for the war; but as Becket furnished its full quota on every demand made by the President for men, and at the end of the war had a surplus of seven over and above all demands, it must have furnished at least one hundred and fifty men. One was a commissioned officer. The whole amount of money appropriated by the town, and expended on account of the war, exclusive of State aid, was sixteen thousand three hundred and eighty-seven dollars ($16,387.00). This includes what was raised by private subscription, and allowed for commutation. The amount of money raised and expended by the town during the four years of the war, for State aid to soldiers' families, and afterwards refunded by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $242.88; in 1862, $2,297.84; in 1863, $3,044.57; in 1864, $2,721.34; in 1865, $1,300.00. Total amount in four years, $10,606.63.
George W. Fisher, John Burt, Orin Martin. The town-clerk during the same years was E. F. Nickerson,
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.