This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 fill the quota of the town, provided that not more than one hundred and twenty-five dollars be paid to each person; and to each citizen or resident of the town who enlisted since Oct. 17, 1863, ‘who had received a less sum than others,’ be paid seventy-five dollars. July 30th, The selectmen were authorized to borrow five thousand three hundred and seventy-five dollars to recruit the quota of the town under the recent call of the President for five hundred thousand men. 1865. April 3d, The payment of State aid to the families of volunteers was continued for the year; and the selectmen were directed to continue to pay a bounty of one hundred and twenty-five dollars to each volunteer who shall enlist for three years to the credit of the town, and so continued to the end of the war. The selectmen reported in 1866 that the town had furnished two hundred and fifty-seven men for the war; but it must have furnished about three hundred, as it filled each of its quotas, and at the end of the war had a surplus of seventeen over and above all demands. Ten were commissioned officers. The whole amount of money appropriated and expended by the town on account of the war, exclusive of State aid, was thirty-one thousand four hundred and eleven dollars and fifty-three cents ($31,411.53). The amount of money raised and expended by the town during the four years of the war for State aid to the families of soldiers, and which was afterwards repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $49.56; in 1862, $1,555.75; in 1863, $2,784.39; in 1864, $2,703.27; in 1865, $1,700.00. Total in four years, $8,792.97. The ladies of Fairhaven held several fairs during the war to raise money for the benefit of the soldiers. Several were also held by the young misses and the children for the same good purpose. The whole amount raised by them was about ten thousand dollars, most of which was expended in the purchase of material for under-clothing and hospital stores, which were forwarded weekly to the Sanitary Commission. In 1867 the town appropriated seventeen hundred dollars to erect a suitable monument to commemorate the services and
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.