This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 held on the 9th of April, at which it was voted to pay to each volunteer who enlists in the military service, and is credited to the quota of the town, a bounty of one hundred and twenty-five dollars; and this was continued until the end of the war. By the report made by the city authorities in 1866, it appeared that Taunton furnished fourteen hundred and ninety-three men for the war, which is probably the number furnished for the military service, and does not include those for which it properly received credit in the navy; as at the end of the war Taunton had a surplus of sixty-three men, after having furnished its full quota upon every call made by the President. Fifty-nine were commissioned officers. The whole amount of money appropriated and expended by the town on account of the war, not including State aid, was one hundred and sixty thousand eight hundred and forty-one dollars and twenty-three cents ($160,841.23). The amount of money raised and expended by the town during the four years of the war in the payment of State aid to the families of volunteers, and which was afterwards repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $10,125.68; in 1862, $28,671.34; in 1863, $34,464.31; in 1864, $29,000.00; in 1865, $15,235.17. Total in four years, $117,496.50. ‘The ladies of Taunton, from the first commencement of the war to the end, were very active in furnishing needful articles to the volunteers, chiefly through the Sanitary Commission.’
E. P. Brownell, Restcome Macomber, Harvey W. Kirby; in 1862, E. P. Brownell, Restcome Macomber, Thomas Sanford; in 1863, 1864, and 1865, E. P. Brownell, Thomas Sanford, George Lawton. The town-clerk in 1861 was Israel Allen; in 1862 and 1863, Isaac Howland; in 1864, Israel Allen; in 1865, Albert C. Kirby. The town-treasurer in 1861 was Israel Allen; in 1862 and 1863, Isaac Howland; in 1864, Israel Allen; in 1865, Leonard Macomber.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.